[missbirdphotos] Re: My new bird studio

  • From: Qgray@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbirdphotos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:10:08 -0400 (EDT)

I buy suet at wal-mart in the case size  but don't know  what flavor it is.
The suet cage is hung on two nails about shoulder height so I  can
easily take it down in late afternoon. ( right side of photo  ). If I leave
it out
the Raccoons get mine also, in fact I have forgotten a time or  two
and lost the suet and cage.

I posted a picture of my setup, the mister is in a bush in the  center

of the photo out of sight just above the birdbaths. ( notice  the Cardinal
top left waiting for me to leave ).

If you know of any Mulberry bushes in your area, check them  out for
birds. . Mulberries are getting ripe here and the birds just  love them.
 I have had a good few hours this week of photographing  just sitting
and watching Mulberry bushes. I just started a new spring  gallery in pbase
_http://www.pbase.com/pintail1/spring_birds_2012_
(http://www.pbase.com/pintail1/spring_birds_2012)  showing buntings
and waxwings eating Mulberries.

Q.B. Gray

In a message dated 4/23/2012 8:46:32 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jcliburn@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Thanks  for the thorough description of your setup and for the great
tips I can use  around my house.  Would you mind posting a picture of
it?

I'm  glad you brought up suet -- I've not had good luck with it.   What
"flavor" do you use?  Do you make your own, or do you buy  blocks?  How
high up is your cage mounted, and does it hang from  something or is it
mounted on the tree trunk?  (Raccoons seem to  REALLY like mine; I've
found it halfway across the yard  before.)

Really exceptional shots of the grosbeak and parula.   I've never seen
a parula, and I've seen a RB grosbeak here only once.   Thank you for
sharing.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:55 PM,   <Qgray@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jay
> It sounds like you have a  nice setup with a lot of thought behind it.
> I have an area in my yard  setup also to take photos from and thought
> I would share with you what  I use.
>
> The blind I use is one I bought from Sportsman's  Warehouse and is
> really a lawn chair with a camo. cover. It has  zippered openings
> in front and on both sides to see out of and can be  folded flat so it
> can be carried in one hand
>
> Birds  like to use and travel along edges of cover so I placed a brush
> pile  on a fence row with my feeders in front of the pile. I use a mister
>  that I tied to the inside of a waist high bush  next to the brush pile.
The
> [...]
> through a big window from  the comfort of my kitchen table.  Then I
> read somewhere that  moving/dripping water was an effective bird
> attractant, so off to the  store for a little pump...  I got a 60 gph
> submersible pump from  Home Depot for $15, but, alas, I had no power in
> the driveway  loop.  Sigh.  I remedied that by boring a 1-inch hole in
> the  front of my house, trenching across the driveway, laying 45 feet
> of  conduit, stringing 12-2 wire, tying into a circuit in my garage,
> and  installing a weatherproof riser box with an outlet and a switch
> out in  the loop.  Presto: power for the pump.  (Have you priced  Romex
> recently?  Yikes!)
>
> The drippers at the  store were too expensive for my tastes -- and they
> weren't suited for  a birdbath anyway -- so I went to a nearby
> canebrake, harvested a  couple of stalks, and fashioned a dripper out
> of cane segments.   Works like a charm.
>
> I wanted a rustic look, so I rejiggered my  platform feeder by removing
> it from its 4x4 post in the front yard,  removing the roof, mounting it
> on an old pine knot fencepost, and made  an insert out of 1x2 and
> window screen to allow water to drain through  the seed when it's
> installed in the platform.  I then found some  elm limbs and mounted
> one to the feeder for a perch.  I sat the  other one on the ground over
> a cast iron plant.
>
> Next,  I went into the woods and found a deadfall white oak trunk that
> had  broken in a few places and used my chainsaw to cut off a couple of
>  "stumps."  I found a deadfall elm limb with a nice bend in it that  I
> used to lean against one of the pine trees.  I bored some  1-inch holes
> in it and inserted peanuts, hoping for jays or  woodpeckers.  (None
> have partaken yet.)
>
> Finally,  I erected the Ameristep doghouse blind, which my poor wife
> finds  appalling, but I argue we live in the country and don't get many
>  refined visitors anyway, so what harm can it be?
>
> Yesterday was  my first attempt at photography in the studio.  The
> highlight of  the day was an early morning, dew-drenched Indigo bunting
> who  surprised me sufficiently to cause me miss a shot when he was on
> the  perch.  I settled for a feeder sidewall shot.  I also got a
>  cardinal and a chipping sparrow in the evening, but unfortunately they
>  weren't on the perch, either.  (BTW, It gets HOT inside that  blind
> when the sun shines on it -- even on a cool, windy day!)  I  was
> pleased to finally get good feather detail using only a 300mm  lens
> (without teleconverter, because I wanted to open up to f4).   I'm not
> pleased with the Chipping sparrow detail, but he was in harsh  light,
> so that probably explains it.  The cardinal and bunting  were in
> diffuse light, and those seemed to turn out much  better.
>
> So, thanks to Missbird photogs, I now have a  studio!  I'd be happy to
> receive suggestions for improvements and  additions.

JPEG image

JPEG image