[mira_talk] Re: all my 16S in one contig

  • From: Shaun Tyler <Shaun.Tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 15:55:44 -0600

Yes I was referring to the high depth of coverage contigs.  Typically after
the assembly I like to assess the depth of coverage and flag those that are
likely repeats.  Any that are larger than about 1 kb (likely not going to
get closed with just a forward and reversed ABI read) I will design
internal sequencing primers so I have them on hand when needed.  I don't
like to include the repeat contigs into the final version of the assembly
because they are really a consensus sequence of multiple copies and SNP
level differences could be missed.  But it is handy to have them kicking
around in the project (e.g. Gap4) so that when they are pulled in to the
assembly via the ABI data you know right away that you are sequencing a
repeat region and if you already have the sequencing primers on hand
closing that gap is only one more ABI run away.

Even if you have ordering information from mate-pair, paired end, OpGen or
whatever you might also consider going old school and including paired end
data from a fosmid library.  The reason I suggest this is that many of the
gaps you will be closing are going to be gaps because they are repeats.
Amplifying these regions from the genomic DNA can often be a bit tricky (or
really messy) but if you have the region isolated on a fosmid clone you
have the option of sequencing directly off the clone or using it as
template for PCR.  This generally give much cleaner results than working
from the genomic DNA.  It also gives you one more layer of data confirming
the contig ordering.

Shaun

From:   Lionel Guy <guy.lionel@xxxxxxxxx>
To:     mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date:   2012-03-05 03:13 PM
Subject:        [mira_talk] Re: all my 16S in one contig
Sent by:        mira_talk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I guess Shaun was referring to the contig with 8 times (or more, or less,
depends on how many rRNA operons you have) more coverage than the rest of
your genome.

To generate ordered contigs, you can either:
- make hypotheses based on a reference genome, provided that you have
one...
- get one or more long-insert (aka mate-pair) library (low coverage is
enough) to scaffold your contigs. The ideal is 3+8kb 454 libraries, but
other solutions are good too (Illumina...)
- if you have Illumina data already, I've heard good things about getting
some PacBio reads and correct them with your Illumina reads
- have a look at optical mapping (OpGen)
- wait until autumn and get some Oxford Nanopore reads ;)

Lionel

On 5 Mar 2012, at 21:47 , Clancy, Kevin wrote:

> I’m doing de novo sequencing as well, so this is a very interesting topic
for me. What is the pile up contig you are referring to?

> How do you generate ordered contigs? Any recommended strategies for this,
apart from the fosmid and long PCR approaches outlined below?