[mira_talk] Re: all my 16S in one contig

  • From: John Nash <john.he.nash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:25:05 -0500

On 2012-03-09, at 3:16 PM, Bastien Chevreux wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2012, at 16:50 , John Nash wrote:
>> I'm on a streetcar so I'll wax lyrical.
>
> Heavens. I thought I was not to bad at English, but I have to confess that
> although I know every single word in that sentence, I have not been able to
> completely understand. Google helped me with "wax lyrical", but what's the
> meaning of "to be on a streetcar"?

ooops... that was thoughtless of me.

A street car is a mode of transportation in Toronto. It is also called a "tram"
in my home town of Melbourne (Australia) but it's essentially a big metal bus
on rails with a rod leading up to overhead electric wiring for power. But it's
not a train. It drives down the middle of the road.

"Wax lyrical" means to give an opinion which is a point of view rather than a
bunch of facts.

I read and answer a lot of email on my 30 min streetcar commute from downtown
Toronto to home.

HTH
John