[mira_talk] Re: Run MIRA in Galaxy....

  • From: Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "J. Cristobal Vera" <jcv128@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 10:51:07 +0000

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 7:30 AM, J. Cristobal Vera <jcv128@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>   I ran the assembly again and it looks like only the wig file is missing.
> The ace and caf files are there, which are pretty vital.  Guess if you can
> fix the wig file issue everything else is working.  Galaxy still outlines
> all the results in history as all errors, which could be confusing to
> people.

Galaxy currently assigned success/failure at the job level, not
the output file level. In this case, I was treating a missing wig
file as an error. In an update yesterday I realised a missing wig
file would mean I didn't collect the ACE or CAF output either,
which is now fixed:
https://bitbucket.org/peterjc/galaxy-central/changeset/1c5c6d4ab3c8

Now the question is why isn't there a wiggle file? Since you
sent me the stdout log, I can see that MIRA deliberately
didn't write it:

Parsing parameters: --job=denovo,est,accurate 454_SETTINGS -LR:lsd=yes
-LR:mxti=no -LR:ft=fastq
-FN:fqi=/home/cris/Desktop/Galaxy/galaxy-dist/database/files/000/dataset_29.dat
COMMON_SETTINGS -OUT:rrot=yes -OUT:rtd=yes

    Result files:
        Saved as CAF                       (orc)     : yes
        Saved as MAF                       (orm)     : yes
        Saved as FASTA                     (orf)     : yes
        Saved as GAP4 (directed assembly)  (org)     : no
        Saved as phrap ACE                 (ora)     : yes
        Saved as GFF3                     (org3)     : no
        Saved as HTML                      (orh)     : no
        Saved as Transposed Contig Summary (ors)     : yes
        Saved as simple text format        (ort)     : no
        Saved as wiggle                    (orw)     : no

Perhaps I didn't notice this before, but it appears MIRA doesn't
write out a wiggle file by default in EST mode. Would it be
useful to you? I can change the command line to explicitly
request this (and the other files I try to collect).

> I don't have a strong preference either way for fastq or qual, but fastq has
> three different formats for q scores, so that would need to be made clear i
> guess.

Easily done - Galaxy has separate datatypes for the main FASTQ
variants, so we can make it explicit that Sanger FASTQ encoding
was being used.

> Also, how difficult would it be to adapt the py and xml code for the
> mirasearchestsSNPs script?  I read it run very similar to mira, although I
> haven't run it yet (I plan on using it soon).
> Cheers,
> Cris

I've never used mirasearchestsSNPs so can't immediately
comment.

Peter