[mira_talk] Re: RFC: bundling or not bundling rRNA databases with MIRA

  • From: Liam Elbourne <liam.elbourne@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:45:15 +1100

Hi Bastien,

Bundle away, as you say, 20 Mb is nothing these days.

Regards,
Liam.

Dr Liam Elbourne
Research Fellow
Paulsen Laboratory
Chemistry and Biomolecular Sciences
Macquarie University

On 17 Dec 2015, at 3:11 PM, Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

I plan to release MIRA 4.9.6 soon, either shortly before Christmas or by mid
January. While the bump in version number is small, a lot has happened behind
the scenes.

One feature I have added is the ability of mira/mirabait to directly fish for
or fish out rRNA sequences, something extremely useful in RST/RNASeq
assemblies. There’s just a slight problem: the dataset for this functionality
is ~10Mb. Not several gigabytes like RFAM, Silva or other rRNA databases,
just 10 megabytes … and with that one should be able to recognise rRNA reads
for the vast majority of sequenced organisms on this planet.

The question I currently have: do I bundle this together with the MIRA
binaries or not?

Pro:
- easy install for novices (and forgetful ppl)
- easy for package and system maintainers

Con:
- the size of the binary distributable package doubles from 10 Mb to 20 Mb

I’m strongly tending for bundling as in today’s world, 10 Mb or 20 Mb are
more or less negligible sizes. However, I would like to have feedback on this
just in case someone sees a larger inconvenience.

You have received this mail because you are subscribed to the mira_talk