[mira_talk] Re: Presenting PCR data as paired end reads?

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 22:06:21 +0200

On Donnerstag 01 Juli 2010 Sven Klages wrote:
> Hmm, I surely miss something, why not simply:
> [...]
> in the traceinfo XML file? This is a common situation in the finishing
> process
> of a project, that there are more than one read of the same template in the
> same direction (due to failures in sequencing or suboptimal sequence
> quality).

You can do that, but then MIRA will not be able to use the template
information (and complain bitterly about this in the log file).

The reason is pretty dumb: internally MIRA uses read pairs, and the data
structures are not able to cope with more that two reads. I did think at some
time to change this, but I had the impression that the cost/benefit ratio of
implementing these changes simply didn't work out.

Now that we might soon get PacBio data with their strobed reads however I fear
I'll need to revisit that decision (at least for long dark inserts).

> ACK, primer walking from sides generates pairs ... you should probably use
> a different template name for the individual pairs.

Not "probably", but "certainly" :-)