[mira_talk] Re: NFS error

  • From: Bastien Chevreux <bach@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:23:24 +0200

On Freitag 30 Juli 2010 Torsten Thomas wrote:
> I have started a Solexa mapping project from my directory on /scratch of a
>  local cluster and mira 3.2.0_rc2 aborts with a message that the project is
>  started from a NFS. As a remedy -DI:ltr is suggested (I can find the
>  switch :ltr in the manual). The project runs fine with mira_3.0.5 from the
>  same directory.

Yipiiieh, it works.

> Any idea why this happens?

Ummm ... yes :-)

You do not want to have the log directory on a NFS mount: MIRA overwhelms NFS
with so much data it slows down to a crawl, leading to ~10 times longer run
times of MIRA. As someone posted a benchmark with MIRA running over NFS, I
thought that MIRA should try its best to prevent such mistakes.

Anyway: in rc3, the docs have been updated and the error message of MIRA also.
Please tell if this is now clearer.