[mira_talk] Re: Multiple long repeats in genome.

  • From: Robert Bruccoleri <bruc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:02:56 -0400

Dear Bastien,
I feel that you should change MIRA back to the old behavior which you thought was the right approach. In this case, can you make the behavior controllable by an option?

I use MIRA instead of other programs largely because I trust that you have done the "right" things in the implementation and because the results have been good.

   Thanks. --Bob

Bastien Chevreux wrote:

On Thursday 17 March 2011 18:40:27 Andrzej N wrote:

> Short question. In genome I'm working now there are long repeats (~5 kbp)

> multiple times. How to make MIRA distribute that sequences from "within"

> that region equal, instead collect them in one place, with like 200x

> coverage? Uniform read distribution is not doing it :(. 454 data, one end,

> coverage about 20x.

What you are describing only affects contigs made of repeats longer than a read length (or than the insert size of paired reads).

In the past, MIRA indeed made multiple copies of repeats and stored them separately ... because I too feel that this is the right approach.

Until people complained that those version of MIRA were bad program because they made "much more" contigs than other assemblers. When I then started to see assembler comparisons involving MIRA just based on N50 and number of contigs, I mailed the authors of some to point out the important difference. I either got no response, or responses from people I had then to assume were undergrad students who had no idea about the underlying problematic and had this as a "homework" or response from people with enough knowledge but told me that the "needed something easy to measure and they had no time for more in-depth analysis of the assembly quality".

I then grudgingly reverted my decision and made MIRA again collapse repetitive contigs.

Sad, but true.

> I hope MIRA is not deleting that repeats. How to keep them together with my

> other contigs?

Erm, what do you mean by that?

B.

begin:vcard
fn:Robert Bruccoleri
n:Bruccoleri;Robert
org:Audacious Energy, LLC and Congenomics, LLC
adr:;;;;;;USA
email;internet:bruc@xxxxxxx
title:President
version:2.1