[mira_talk] Re: Mira results much worse than newbler

  • From: Robin Kramer <kodream@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 17:16:58 -0600

Maybe this is the only one but I had a bear of a time getting this one to
work, and I expected that it wasn't a bug but just how sff_extract worked.
The SRA sample SRR054580 demonstrates it though.  Since it was in the SRA I
couldn't contact the sequence provider, evidently using minleft clip does
exactly that.  However going back and trying it on other sequences it does
indeed seem to do exactly the same as sffinfo when it works.

/home/assembly/sw/linux-x86_64/sff_extract/0.2.8/bin/sff_extract
SRR054580.sff
Working on 'SRR054580.sff':
Converting 'SRR054580.sff' ...  done.
Converted 906300 reads into 906300 sequences.

WARNING: weird sequences in file SRR054580.sff

After applying left clips, 513937 sequences (=57%) start with these bases:

This does not look sane.

Countermeasures you *probably* must take:
1) Make your sequence provider aware of that problem and ask whether this
can be
    corrected in the SFF.
2) If you decide that this is not normal and your sequence provider does not
    react, use the --min_left_clip of sff_extract.
    (Probably '--min_left_clip=6' but you should cross-check that)