[mira_talk] Re: Mira mailing list

  • From: Sandrine Moreira <sandrine.moreira@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 18:44:48 -0500

Le 2011-01-10 à 1:42 PM, Bastien Chevreux a écrit :

> On Montag 10 Januar 2011 Sandrine Moreira wrote:
>> The technical suport suggest they could either :
>> - Work on the parallelization of the code
>> - Implement the "checkpoint" functionnality (to stop and restart the
>> assembly after 7 days)
>
> Is that a help offer?

Well, if our development could help others ....

> Whomever wants to add to MIRA is very welcome, though
> I'll note that there's a reason these two functions are not fully implemented
> yet: they're not easy to implement and it'll at least a couple of weeks to
> implement (and test!) either one.

I'm sure that it's a tricky part, but we can still evaluate the feasability and
the difficulty.
We will certainly implement the checkpoint due to this time limitation on the
cluster (jobs longer than 7 days are killed).

For the parallelization, it's less probable but it was worth asking if somebody
has already developed half of the code ;-)

>> Before investing too much time on one of these solutions, does anyone begin
>> working on one (both ?!) of these points ? Bastien ?
>> Bastien, I read on the doc that you are planning to work on these points,
>> did you already do something in this direction ?
>
> Both points are currently on hold, I have a couple of other things with
> higher
> priority on my list atm. The basics for checkpointing are there (MAF is a
> result of it), but then I needed to shift focus when I saw that there was
> more
> to it than I wanted.

Ok, we will  surely interact with you for some precise questions on the
checkpoint, if you don't mind.
Is there some code related to this part which is not commited on sourceforge ?

>> BTW, I would be also interested by a small dataset to test our
>> developements. If you have one to suggest ...
>
> For that I suppose that any bacterial Sanger data set from the NCBI trace
> archive should work pretty well. I'd have to search for one though, all the
> ones I had I lost a couple of weeks ago.

I would prefer 454 data to stay closer as possible as our own data.
BTW, I perhaps found a mitochondrial genome for my test : small but complex
enough, with high %AT and nice homopolymers errors.
Still need to have a closer look to see if it's really convenient.

SaM

> B.

Sandrine Moreira Rousseau
Doctorante en Bio-informatique

(514) 343-6111 poste 2842

Centre Robert-Cedergren en Bio-informatique et Génomique
Université de Montréal
Montréal, Québec, Canada