[mira_talk] Filtering out crappy sequence

  • From: John Nash <john.he.nash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 15:09:50 -0400

Dear mira users,

I just received some sff files from our sequence facility, so dutifully, I ran
sff_extract and produced a nice fastq / xml file set ready for MIRA.

MIRA crashed with a "Sanity check of read '<insert read name here>' failed"
error. I went and looked at the failed sequence and sure enough, it was crap.
So I fired up emacs and removed the offending entry, and yes, it happened again.

I don't particularly want to remove bad sequences using the "fail by crashing
mira" followed by "edit using emacs" approach.  Before I go and try and write
code to examine and filter out bad fastq data, is there something obvious out
there that I could use?

Thanks
John