[mira_talk] 500Mb assembly

  • From: "Filip Van Nieuwerburgh" <Filip.VanNieuwerburgh@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mira_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:39:48 +0100

Dear,

I have been asked to de novo assemble an insect genome.

Until now, I only de novo assembled bacterial genomes (max 5 Mb). Mira
proved to be the best assembler (in my hands) to tackle these
assemblies.

What would be the best strategy (also taking into account that I cannot
wait more than a month for MIRA to finish) to de novo assemble the 500Mb
insect genome?

I have:

-          100E6 reads of 2x100 bp Illumina data

-          1 full Roche titanium run: paired-end insert size= 3000 bp.

-          A 16 core 64-bit linux with 128Gb of RAM

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Filip