[minima] Re: something fresh - a long long post

  • From: "Joe Rocci" <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 15:56:32 -0400

I noticed an Arduino Nano too…is that the way you plan to go. If so, I like it
as it’s only about USD$3.50 delivered from Ebay vendors. The ‘5351 would be
very nice, though I understand the problem with sourcing parts like this in
some places. Still, the Si570 is also not widely available and it costs about
5x the ‘570. Personally, I’d like to see it go that way (5351), but I do
understand what you’re trying to accomplish.

Two more suggestions:

1) I had previously suggested synthesizing the sidetone by using the PWM
to generate a sinewave according to a sine lookup table. I’ve done this for
other applications and it can produce a very clean sinewave with only RC
filtering.

2) If you run the pre-volume control audio into an analog input on the
Nano, it opens the possibility to implement digitally synthesized AGC by
sampling the audio at a high rate, peak detecting and generating a gain control
function. The gain control function could be fed forward to a slightly
different version of the TDA amplifier that has a gain control input. This gain
function would also act as an S-meter, and everything could be reported and
controlled via the USB port.

Once there’s a good ucontroller with a USB port available, the sky’s the limit
for CAT features.

Joe

W3JDR