[minima] Re: Minima PCB (eagle cad's)

  • From: "Mac A. Cody" <maccody@xxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Feb 2014 21:46:45 -0600

On Feb 1, 2014at 17:14:50 -0800, Clark Martin wrote:
If you want to reduce cost and increase part availability go with surface
mount.  Through hole is quickly becoming the "odd" part.

And they certainly make for a more compact board without much effort.
True, cost may be reduced and space may be saved, but
at the (probable) cost of PCB fabrication and assembly
complexity.  A board full of SMD components usually
ends up being a double-sided board due to routing
complexity.  This makes it more difficult for the
homebrewer, like myself, to fabricate their own boards.
Instead, they have to go to a board house (such as
OSH Park, where the Minima boards can be obtained now)
with a resulting increase in cost.  Assembly of SMD
boards can be a bit more difficult, as well.  Personally,
I've found the Si570 to be the easiest surface mount part
to solder.  Everything else is more difficult and tedious.
The use of surface mount parts, where through-hole parts
could be used just as easily, seems silly to me.  In this
case, they certainly don't make the controller board
particularly more compact.

Mac AE5PH