[minima] Re: Metal working tips?

  • From: "Steve VK2SJA" <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:53:42 +1100

Hi Thomas

There are going to be lots of different ways to go about this. But here is
what I have successfully done in the past.

Mark out the cut-out carefully (measure twice, cut once).

Drill a small pilot hole in each of the four corners.

Drill larger hole in very centre of waste material.

Use metal nibbler tool to cut out rectangular hole. Similar to this tool:-

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TH1768

Deliberately err on the side of making the hole slightly too small. Finish
hole to exact size and smooth edges with very small metal file, like the
ones in this set:-

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=TD2128

The examples I've given are from a local Australian store called Jaycar.
But these tools can be found just about anywhere I'd warrant.

You will need to decide right up front if you want to take the simple
route and have the naked LCD poking forward through the cabinet hole. Or
if you want the LCD recessed behind the hole with some form of plastic
lens cover over it. As this will change the size of the hole required.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

73, Steve.
VK2SJA