[minima] Re: Low Pass filter info?

  • From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 15:13:08 +0000

Hi

The filter looks good on paper!

I've simulated the filter using QUCS and the cut off is just above 15MHz, so my "real world" build of the filter is probably a bit out of bonk. I'll measure the inductors using my LC Meter and see how the theoretical number of turns works out in practice and report back.

http://g0mgx.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/minima-filter-simulation.html

The problem looks like it is all at my end - the software suggests your design is sound!

Mark
G0MGX

On 18/01/2014 14:45, farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Mark, can you run the 15M filter through EMRFD's GPLA or LT Spice?  I hope I
have specced the filter correctly. But I'd appreciate an independent
confirmation. It is supposed to be an elliptical filter.
- f
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: minima-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:24:14
To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi All

Rummaging in my shack this morning and I have found all the components
needed for the Minima - no purchase necessary - so I just have to build one!

I've just finished and tested my LPF(s) this morning; here is what I used:

0.33u 10 turns T37-6
0.39u 11 turns T37-6

0.66u 12 turns T50-2
0.78u 13 turns T50-2

Then for the 3u in the traps I have used 25 turns T68-6

I will post a link soon to some pics and sweeps of the filters and traps
later this morning.

Mark
G0MGX

On 18/01/2014 11:13, Steve VK2SJA wrote:
Hi Farhan/Group,

Burning the midnight oil in Oz reading everything I can about Minima.  Too
hot to sleep anyway. Nearly 10:00pm local and still 27 degrees C. Yuck!

Farhan, congratulations. I can understand just about all of the circuit.
So you have obviously succeeded in keeping things very simple!!

Question about the two low pass filters.  I can't see any core or winding
info. Am I missing sonething? I do know just enough to be dangerous and
can craft my own.  But I'm lazy and interested in the version pictured on
your web site. The cores in the 15 to 30 LPF look like T68 cores, Yes? But
what are the cores used in the 0-15 LPF??

I came very late to the BitX scene. So this info may be known to long term
Bitxers. I know about the use of nylon tap washers in the original BitX
but these don't look like those? But the cores to me look clear and
plastic like. I've not seen anything like.

Winding data be great too (very lazy).

73, Steve.
VK2SJA