[minima] Re: Linear Output Filter Switching

  • From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 17:13:16 +0000

Hi Wayne

You mean use two polls in parallel at each end of the filter i.e.two switches? The components of the filter itself will need to be capable of handling that kind of power also.

I see smoke from my little ceramic disks!

On 06/02/2014 17:11, Wayne McFee wrote:
That way you will have enough current and switching capability to go up to a little higher power, 50W at least, should you care to, and it provides a little extra capability for lower power, which won't hurt a thing.

73,

Wayne NB6M

On Feb 6, 2014, at 9:01 AM, Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx <mailto:nb6m@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I would suggest using the Omron 2Amp DPDT relays to switch the filters and parallel the two poles.

Wayne NB6M

On Feb 6, 2014, at 3:52 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi Team

I've done a bit more work on the output filter switching using a 4028 (which arrived today!).

The wiki is updated:

http://www.hfsignals.org/index.php/Final_Output_Filters

Including a link to a simple sketch to try and illustrate how it works and enable others to prototype the ideas as I have.

There will be more on this topic from me....

Mark
G0MGX

On 04/02/2014 19:05, Dan Reynolds wrote:
Thanks Mark. I'm learning a lot but you know how it is when you're dreaming - you never learn fast enough. I'm pouring over tutorials on the web to help me understand better.

I think I know what the schematic will look like but I just want to see it from a more credible source than my brain!

I hope to have the Boarduino and the front panel all mocked up by the weekend. I have an Si570 on the way. I'm going to use the WB6DHW Si570 board for the level shifter circuit.
http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html#Si570
That should also keep me out of trouble with modifying that one library...

Then I can start mocking up / playing with the LPF selection logic perhaps...

Thanks everybody. This is a neat project and I'm going to learn a whole lot!

73
Dan -- KB9JLO
https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Dan & Team

    When I get the CMOS chips I have ordered I will publish to the
    Wiki the schematic for filter switching, details for
    interfacing to the bare bones Arduino and also publish my
    suggested code modifications/changes to control the switching
    based on radio frequency. I will also put extensive comments
    into the code to explain what's going on.

    The ULN2803a does look like a great option - I have just
    ordered some of those from eBay - so I will experiment with
    this option also in due course.

    Mark
    G0MGX

    On 03/02/2014 22:18, Dan Reynolds wrote:
    I wish someone could draw up a schematic and show a modified
    codes segment so someone dense like me can get his head around it.

    I looked at that CD4028 example and Mark, your second chart is
    starting to make sense...
    I think the ULN2803a is a good idea too.
    Do you ground the unused inputs on that chip?
    And then I assume the common on the output side would go to
    +12V for relay energizing power.

    This project could be an excellent learning project for me all
    the way around! :-)

    73
    Dan -- KB9JLO
    https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

    On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:nb6m@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Mark,

        I'm using a ULN2803a Darlington Driver chip to drive the
        relays for LPF selection in a homebrew amp.  These have
        the back current diodes in them, so no external diodes
        needed across the relays.

        Just a thought, as it saves building individual drivers
        with transistors (like I did in another project).

        Wayne NB6M

        On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:54 AM, Mark G0MGX
        <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi Gang

        I've completed a proof of concept of the output filters
        today; it uses a 74141 as a BCD to individual selection
        connected to a 74LS00 used as NOT gates or inverters for
        the output lines.

        I can control this OK from the Arduino code, so I have
        ordered some of these CMOS 4028s as this has a HIGH
        output state when an output is selected whereas the 74141
        is a LOW state when an output is selected (I have used
        74141 previously to ground cathodes of Nixie tubes!).
        This is the logic of the chip:

        <74141 logic.png>

        So I now wait for the postman before I can complete the
        filter output stage.

        I am thinking that we might like options in the
        code/filters as it seems to me we need to keep the
        current RX filter selection pin usage, but also use this
        for filter selection. We can go with very simple as
        suggested by Farhan and have 4 filters, or we can have 5
        to include either top band or 60M (5MHz).

        I will post more when I have the final design and code
        mods once built and tested. I am definitely going with a
        3 line BCD output from the Arduino processor to select
        filters based on radio tuned frequency. This will be
        accomplished in the existing function "setBandswitch".
        Maybe (only maybe) something like this:

        <Filter Ideas3.png>

        In the code we will declare three digital outputs
        (including the existing BAND_HI) and set all three each
        time we change frequency, the state (HIGH or LOW) of each
        output will be dependent on frequency and in accordance
        with the truth table and output usage above.

        Mark
        G0MGX

        On 01/02/2014 18:47, Mark G0MGX wrote:
        very good. That CMOS chip used in the link looks the
        same as the TTL 74141 - but I am no expert.

        This does seem to be the way to go
        Mark
        G0MGX

        On 01/02/2014 18:24, mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        Mark
        Have a look at this halfway down the page...
        http://www.vk5tm.com////homebrew/filter/filter.php
        Mark
        G6ZQS G-QRP 2247