[minima] Re: Linear Output Filter Switching

  • From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:52:06 +0000

Hi Team

I've done a bit more work on the output filter switching using a 4028 (which arrived today!).

The wiki is updated:

http://www.hfsignals.org/index.php/Final_Output_Filters

Including a link to a simple sketch to try and illustrate how it works and enable others to prototype the ideas as I have.

There will be more on this topic from me....

Mark
G0MGX

On 04/02/2014 19:05, Dan Reynolds wrote:
Thanks Mark. I'm learning a lot but you know how it is when you're dreaming - you never learn fast enough. I'm pouring over tutorials on the web to help me understand better.

I think I know what the schematic will look like but I just want to see it from a more credible source than my brain!

I hope to have the Boarduino and the front panel all mocked up by the weekend. I have an Si570 on the way. I'm going to use the WB6DHW Si570 board for the level shifter circuit.
http://wb6dhw.com/For_Sale.html#Si570
That should also keep me out of trouble with modifying that one library...

Then I can start mocking up / playing with the LPF selection logic perhaps...

Thanks everybody. This is a neat project and I'm going to learn a whole lot!

73
Dan -- KB9JLO
https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 12:53 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Dan & Team

    When I get the CMOS chips I have ordered I will publish to the
    Wiki the schematic for filter switching, details for interfacing
    to the bare bones Arduino and also publish my suggested code
    modifications/changes to control the switching based on radio
    frequency. I will also put extensive comments into the code to
    explain what's going on.

    The ULN2803a does look like a great option - I have just ordered
    some of those from eBay - so I will experiment with this option
    also in due course.

    Mark
    G0MGX

    On 03/02/2014 22:18, Dan Reynolds wrote:
    I wish someone could draw up a schematic and show a modified
    codes segment so someone dense like me can get his head around it.

    I looked at that CD4028 example and Mark, your second chart is
    starting to make sense...
    I think the ULN2803a is a good idea too.
    Do you ground the unused inputs on that chip?
    And then I assume the common on the output side would go to +12V
    for relay energizing power.

    This project could be an excellent learning project for me all
    the way around! :-)

    73
    Dan -- KB9JLO
    https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

    On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx
    <mailto:nb6m@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Mark,

        I'm using a ULN2803a Darlington Driver chip to drive the
        relays for LPF selection in a homebrew amp.  These have the
        back current diodes in them, so no external diodes needed
        across the relays.

        Just a thought, as it saves building individual drivers with
        transistors (like I did in another project).

        Wayne NB6M

        On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:54 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        Hi Gang

        I've completed a proof of concept of the output filters
        today; it uses a 74141 as a BCD to individual selection
        connected to a 74LS00 used as NOT gates or inverters for the
        output lines.

        I can control this OK from the Arduino code, so I have
        ordered some of these CMOS 4028s as this has a HIGH output
        state when an output is selected whereas the 74141 is a LOW
        state when an output is selected (I have used 74141
        previously to ground cathodes of Nixie tubes!). This is the
        logic of the chip:

        <74141 logic.png>

        So I now wait for the postman before I can complete the
        filter output stage.

        I am thinking that we might like options in the code/filters
        as it seems to me we need to keep the current RX filter
        selection pin usage, but also use this for filter selection.
        We can go with very simple as suggested by Farhan and have 4
        filters, or we can have 5 to include either top band or 60M
        (5MHz).

        I will post more when I have the final design and code mods
        once built and tested. I am definitely going with a 3 line
        BCD output from the Arduino processor to select filters
        based on radio tuned frequency. This will be accomplished in
        the existing function "setBandswitch". Maybe (only maybe)
        something like this:

        <Filter Ideas3.png>

        In the code we will declare three digital outputs (including
        the existing BAND_HI) and set all three each time we change
        frequency, the state (HIGH or LOW) of each output will be
        dependent on frequency and in accordance with the truth
        table and output usage above.

        Mark
        G0MGX

        On 01/02/2014 18:47, Mark G0MGX wrote:
        very good. That CMOS chip used in the link looks the same
        as the TTL 74141 - but I am no expert.

        This does seem to be the way to go
        Mark
        G0MGX

        On 01/02/2014 18:24, mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        Mark
        Have a look at this halfway down the page...
        http://www.vk5tm.com////homebrew/filter/filter.php
        Mark
        G6ZQS G-QRP 2247