[minima] Re: Linear Output Filter Switching

  • From: Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2014 06:53:33 +0000

Hi Dan & Team

When I get the CMOS chips I have ordered I will publish to the Wiki the schematic for filter switching, details for interfacing to the bare bones Arduino and also publish my suggested code modifications/changes to control the switching based on radio frequency. I will also put extensive comments into the code to explain what's going on.

The ULN2803a does look like a great option - I have just ordered some of those from eBay - so I will experiment with this option also in due course.

Mark
G0MGX

On 03/02/2014 22:18, Dan Reynolds wrote:
I wish someone could draw up a schematic and show a modified codes segment so someone dense like me can get his head around it.

I looked at that CD4028 example and Mark, your second chart is starting to make sense...
I think the ULN2803a is a good idea too.
Do you ground the unused inputs on that chip?
And then I assume the common on the output side would go to +12V for relay energizing power.

This project could be an excellent learning project for me all the way around! :-)

73
Dan -- KB9JLO
https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM, Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx <mailto:nb6m@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Mark,

    I'm using a ULN2803a Darlington Driver chip to drive the relays
    for LPF selection in a homebrew amp.  These have the back current
    diodes in them, so no external diodes needed across the relays.

    Just a thought, as it saves building individual drivers with
    transistors (like I did in another project).

    Wayne NB6M

    On Feb 2, 2014, at 6:54 AM, Mark G0MGX <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi Gang

    I've completed a proof of concept of the output filters today; it
    uses a 74141 as a BCD to individual selection connected to a
    74LS00 used as NOT gates or inverters for the output lines.

    I can control this OK from the Arduino code, so I have ordered
    some of these CMOS 4028s as this has a HIGH output state when an
    output is selected whereas the 74141 is a LOW state when an
    output is selected (I have used 74141 previously to ground
    cathodes of Nixie tubes!). This is the logic of the chip:

    <74141 logic.png>

    So I now wait for the postman before I can complete the filter
    output stage.

    I am thinking that we might like options in the code/filters as
    it seems to me we need to keep the current RX filter selection
    pin usage, but also use this for filter selection. We can go with
    very simple as suggested by Farhan and have 4 filters, or we can
    have 5 to include either top band or 60M (5MHz).

    I will post more when I have the final design and code mods once
    built and tested. I am definitely going with a 3 line BCD output
    from the Arduino processor to select filters based on radio tuned
    frequency. This will be accomplished in the existing function
    "setBandswitch". Maybe (only maybe) something like this:

    <Filter Ideas3.png>

    In the code we will declare three digital outputs (including the
    existing BAND_HI) and set all three each time we change
    frequency, the state (HIGH or LOW) of each output will be
    dependent on frequency and in accordance with the truth table and
    output usage above.

    Mark
    G0MGX

    On 01/02/2014 18:47, Mark G0MGX wrote:
    very good. That CMOS chip used in the link looks the same as the
    TTL 74141 - but I am no expert.

    This does seem to be the way to go
    Mark
    G0MGX

    On 01/02/2014 18:24, mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:mpcharlton@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    Mark
    Have a look at this halfway down the page...
    http://www.vk5tm.com////homebrew/filter/filter.php
    Mark
    G6ZQS G-QRP 2247