[minima] Re: Linear Output Filter Switching

  • From: "Wayne McFee" <nb6m@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 11:08:36 -0800

And,

I really like the five output filter idea, especially if there were code
changes that could easily be implemented that would allow the individual to
select whichever fifth band they wanted.

And, those that preferred to use four filters and not go for the extra band
could still do so.

73,

Wayne NB6M

          From: Mark G0MGX
          Date: 01/02/2014 17:29:09
          To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

          Isn't this:

          http://www.g3ynh.info/digrdout/74141.html

          exactly what we need to go from Binary outputs on our 3 digital lines
          individual relays controlling filters?

          Mark
          G0MGX

          On 01/02/2014 15:26, farhanbox@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
          > Mark,
          > There's something not right about the curve. The stopband is quite
nominal. You must get atleast 60 db stop-band.

          > Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Filters. I
          > am very unhappy with the 19M filter sweep, so will let you guys
take a
          > look before doing any more. The next filter needs to be 30M cut off
- we
          > already have one of those!
          >
          > As an aside I have dug out my CD from EMRFD and mine is a 2002
version
          > of the software which I can't find a filter designer? I can enter
values
          > myself but cant get the software to come up with the filter for me -
          > hence I have stuck with what I know and used QUCS for my designs.
          >
          > I do think that we could still use the existing D5 line for output
_*as
          > well as*_ the existing input filter switching just so long as the
line
          > stays HIGH for > 15MHz and LOW for <= 15MHz. This would give us
room for
          > a 1.8M filter and another if we find we need i. I  have only
focused on
          > those highlighted yellow below, but clearly with the three digital
lines
          > we could have up to 8 filters if we needed them.
          >

          > I personally like the idea of simple logic chip or BCD type logic to
          > control relays as I feel that we want to avoid more programming and
          > complexity where it's not needed. The 74LS139 idea is a great one
and
          > probably the way I plan to go, but lets see what we decide.
          >
          > I've tried to explain some of this in the Wiki - please take a look
and
          > lets decide between us how we are going to do this part of the
project.

          > We could of course go with the idea of a separate amplifier
completely,
          > maybe with the tubes others are suggesting! I've never built
anything
          > with tubes....
          >
          > Mark
          > G0MGX
          >
          > On 01/02/2014 06:48, Mark wrote:
          >> Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and ideas.
          >>
          >> If we go with 4 filters have we scrapped top band?
          >>
          >> I'll try and run some designs for the four suggested filters and
build
          >> some prototypes and stick the results on the wiki.
          >>
          >> We can then decide and discuss what we think we should do.

EMRFD

http://tronixstuff.com/2011/08/26/tutorial-maximising-your-arduinos-io-ports/

http://tronixstuff.com/2010/04/30/getting-started-with-arduino-chapter-four/

          >>      I was going to approximate the Minima front panel with a bare
          >>      bones Arduino and some parts and see what I could dream up.
          >>      I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm just muddling through
          >>      trying to patch bits and pieces together...
          >>

          >>      73
          >>      Dan -- KB9JLO
          >>      https://sites.google.com/site/on30ng/
          >>

          >>      On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Wayne McFee <nb6m@xxxxxxx
          >>      <mailto:nb6m@xxxxxxx>> wrote:
          >>
          >>          Hi Mark,
          >>
          >>          If the three outputs were set up as you suggest, a Picaxe
chip
          >>          could be programmed to control either individual relay
driver
          >>          transistors or a relay driver chip like the 2903(?).
          >>
          >>          I've been using that arrangement for filter selection  in
          >>          homebrew rig.
          >>
          >>          Or, if one of those output lines could be programmed to
output
          >>          a stepped voltage such as that provided by the FT817 for
          >>          bandswitching info, that makes the programming even
easier.

          >>          Wayne NB6M
          >>

          >>          > On Jan 31, 2014, at 1:24 PM, Mark G0MGX
          >>          <mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:mark.g0mgx@xxxxxxxxx>>
wrote:
          >>          >
          >>          > Farhan & Team,
          >>          >
          >>          > I can see that we have provision in the schematic for 3
          >>          digital outputs for band selection, but can only see one
of
          >>          these (BAND_HI - pin 11 - Arduino D5) being used within
the
          >>          function "setBandswitch". It is this function that
currently
          >>          selects the LPF used based on frequency.
          >>          >
          >>          > We could set the state of the three outputs based on
          >>          frequency something like this:
          >>          >
          >>          > <Filter Ideas.png>
          >>          >
          >>          > But someone far cleverer than I would need to explain
how to
          >>          create relay on/off switching based on the logic states of
          >>           the three lines - I have no idea how to do that!
          >>          >
          >>          > If we were to implement something like this was the
          >>          intention to use these additionally switched filters in
RX as
          >>          well as TX?
          >>          >
          >>          > I would be interested in your thoughts and ideas on how
you
          >>          saw this working before I head down the wrong road with my
          >>          construction!
          >>          >
          >>          > Many thanks,
          >>          >