[minima] Re: KISS Mixer Musings

  • From: Joe Street <jstreet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:55:38 -0500

Just thinking about this. I remember that the transconductance of JFETS varies quite a bit so the fact that the signals are not symetrical might be due to an imbalance in the device characteristics?

On 28/02/2014 3:29 PM, Mark G0MGX wrote:
Hi Joe

The 'scope was connected to the drains using a x10 probe - they were still connected to the transformers in circuit. The overall output at the IF port didn't change with the 'scope connected as the SA was monitoring throughout.

Mark

On 28/02/2014 19:24, Joe Street wrote:
When looking at the drain voltages with the scope did you give a load resistance to the drains or was it just the scope input?

On 28/02/2014 1:41 PM, Mark G0MGX wrote:
Hi Team

I've been threatening to have a fiddle with the KISS mixer for a while, and here are the results of my first bash:

http://g0mgx.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/kiss-mixer-musings.html

I don't understand the 'scope signals on the drains of my FETs and I certainly don't understand the voltages I am reading on the sources (my sources are together and connected to the bias supply). The power end of the 4K7 to the FET bias adjusts from 0 to 5V as expected by I am reading -ve voltage on the sources themselves.

Please take a look at the link and then any volunteers who can try and explain this to me most welcome!

Mark
G0MGX