[minima] Re: KISS Mixer Musings

  • From: "Tayloe, Dan (NSN - US/Tempe)" <dan.tayloe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2014 00:54:56 +0000

We need to bias the jfet channel for 50% on, 50% off.  When a jfet is "on", it
grounds its winding with its phasing for RF to IF transfer. Alternating jfets
flips the signal to the opposite polarity. Rapidly flipping the signal polarity
through this stage at the LO rate does the mixing.

Thus there is no DC current, but we are trying to turn on/off AC paths.  Since
jfet pinch off thresholds vary so much from device to device, separate bias is
best.

As a matter of fact, if you had a bunch of these, it would be nice to match
Idss and pinchoff voltage for these two jfets.

- Dan

Sent from my Windows Phone