[minima] Re: Finally getting around to building my Minima...

  • From: José A. Amador Fundora <amador@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 21:30:12 -0500

Perhaps, as commercial radios do, split the range between several VCO's. It won't be as simple, but perhaps more manageable in practice.

There is a russian book about a homebrew transceiver that uses a single VFO in the VHF range, and dividers to get the heterodyne signal on the range it is needed. No VFO switching, which makes it rock solid, but rather divider ratio change.

My Motorola MICOM-XL uses a VCO up to 360 MHz for 30 MHz which is quite quiet phase-noise wise.

73,

Jose, CO2JA

Also...
The open-loop stability of the oscillator, especially the 7-20 range, will probably be too poor for the huff-puff to keep up and microphonics will undoubtedly be an issue. Overall, a very daunting project in my estimation.
Email: amador at electrica.cujae.edu.cu