[minima] Re: Arduino Software, and which board to select?

  • From: Shawn Reed <neivahul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 20:03:17 -0800

On 2/20/2014 7:17 PM, Steve VK2SJA wrote:
Hi Wayne,

More information:-

I don't know about the bootloader, I just ordered a chip from Digikey.
The chip your programming with Minima Radiono *needs* be have Arduino
boot-loader firmware pre-installed before it can "talk" to the client IDE
software and download programs via the serial port. It is this boot-loader
software that turns a plain ATmega328 chip into an Arduino.

Arduino is such a common popular platform that it is easy to source and buy
ATmega328 chips with the boot-loader pre-programmed for a dollar or two
more. But you'll have to sort out the boot-loader issue first if you
sourced a plain old ATmega328. And by the sounds of it you may well have.

Installing a boot-loader into a blank ATmega328 chip can be done *if* you
already have an Arduino board. Using that board as an ISP programmer. Of
course instead of using the Arduino board as the programmer you could buy
and use a special ISP programmer. Actually they are not that expensive but
for a "one off" an Arduino board has a lot more utility.

There are lots of instructions around the Web for using an Arduino board
as a ISP programmer. In fact there appear to be a few different ways to do
this. But they all seem to boil down to the same basic idea. The same
physical hardware inter-connections. But each solution uses different
software to make it happen.

Here are a couple links. I've not tried any of them personally. Some
methods are apparently easier than others. In particular a large number of
people seem to report that OptiLoader was easier than other methods. But
this information may be historically dated.

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP#.UwaOjZi-VhE
http://3g1l.com/blog-burn-bootloader-blank-atmega328atmega328p-arduino-uno
https://github.com/WestfW/OptiLoader

Hope all this theory helps. Someone who has had some recent practical
experience, will no doubt chime in shortly with some specifics.

I'd offer to do a postal "swap". You send me the blank chip and I'll send
you back one with a bootloader installed. But the postage costs between
CONUS and VK would likely be silly. Maybe someone reading this states-side
could offer the same. But in truth even local postage costs are probably
more than the extra dollar or two for a ATmega328 with the bootloader
already loaded.

Perhaps try seeking out someone in a local Radio, Computer or Maker Club
who may be able to help you?

73, Steve.
VK2SJA

On Feb 20, 2014, at 4:14 PM, "Steve VK2SJA" <vk2sja@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Wayne,
It would seem that you would use the Arduino software to upload the
sketch
into it,since the Minima controller is a basic Arduino board?
Correct.
And if so, which board type do you select for the Minima controller?
I'd try "Arduino Uno" as it uses the ATmega328.
Does your ATmega328 chip already have the Arduino boot-loader firmware
installed? Won't work without.
73, Steve
VK2SJA

Hello Wayne. I have an extra one, Atmega328 w/ Arduino UNO Optiboot Bootloader , I will get in the mail tomorrow, your way. I have your address, and I owe you the favor for helping me with my trouble shooting last year. Glad to see you building a minima, I will be following your notes. 73, Shawn kf7yff