[minima] Re: About running ATmega328 at 3v3

  • From: Paolo Cravero <paolo.cravero@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: minima@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 17:03:22 +0100

Farhan, it was not my intention to push towards a 3v3 only configuration. I
wanted to share some thoughts about feasibility and I like the way it is
now (standard 5V Arduino chip and 3v3 Si570): the change in library file is
the most straightforward of all solutions.

For those worried of frying the Si570 control lines if they forget to
modify the library, the datasheet under Absolute Maximum Ratings mentions
"-0.5 to VDD + 0.3" Volts for V_i (input voltage). Wouldn't a Schottky
diode in parallel to 3V3 pullup resistors be a safeguard good enough?

Atmega pin on left, 3v3 on right:

73,
Paolo
<http://bit.ly/VtE3c4>