[midtownbsd] Re: a test, but don't ignore

  • From: Scott <scottro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midtownbsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:06:18 -0500

On Thu, 4 Apr 2002 18:56:52 -0500 (EST)
Francisco Reyes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 2002, Scott wrote:
>
> > This is a test to see if I'm able to have all of you who subscribe
under> > one name and post with another subscribed and in vacation
mode--that is,> > you'll be able to post, but won't receive duplicate
emails.  :)>
> You absolutely lost me.. you want us to try sending email from a
different> address.

No, not at all.  :)

The problem is this--some folks subscribed to the list with one address,
but use a second address for their posting--this is apparently the default
of their mail systems.  (It's not something I'm with which I'm familiar ).
So, when they post, it comes to me, as list owner, to approve an
unsubscribed person's post.

Freelists doesn't have an option to allow posting from a different
address--however, if these folks subscribe twice, then of course, they
either get duplicate posts etc.  Therefore, my test is to subscribe under
a second address, and put that address in vacation mode--that means that I
can post from this (the despammed) address, but only receive one copy of
the message posted to the list.

This way, if people have more than one address from which they wish to
post, I can fix it with a minimum of work--they get an extra copy of the
welcome message, but that's about it.

Scott