[microfarmer] Re: Ideas, please

  • From: "David Parkinson" <parkidavid@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: microfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 18:07:22 -0800

Hi Robin & Tajh & others:

Speaking for the Upper Sunshine Coast. I would like to find a way to get
more of us up here looped into what you folks are doing down there -- makes
sense, since many of the concerns are identical one, only aggravated here by
the increased physical isolation.

One thing that has been occupying my attention for some time is exactly what
you are looking into: INCREASING CAPACITY. As you know, we've been fighting
land development partly driven by our city government, which aims to remove
ALR land and convert it to housing or industry or something that won't put
food on the table in the years to come. Many people in the community are
pushing back against the loss of farmland, but the terrible reality right
now is that farming continues to decline, farmers are under fire from every
direction, and younger folks who might be interested in getting into farming
are crushed by the high cost of land, complexity of regulations, amount of
knowledge required, and so on. But somehow we need to find ways to increase
food production and processing.

I can't help thinking that the solutions will come from small-scale projects
scaling up naturally: like backyard garden to SPIN-type model to value-added
to common processing facility & co-op, and so on. All I can think of doing
is encouraging people to stretch what they're currently doing, in hopes that
1 out of 100 of them will go on to something like commercial-scale farming
or processing. But I'd like to brainstorm with other people concerned about
this stuff. Mind you, I'm not a farmer, nor much of a producer on any scale,
but my role in the community is supposed to be as catalyst for increased
production. Somewhere out there, there must be other people trying to figure
out how to help themselves or other people overcome all the barriers to
producing enough food to be self-sufficient and then some. I haven't even
thought about what all those barriers are, and how we (as communities
without huge cash resources) can help people get past them. But others
probably have...

Anyway, I think I'm repeating what you're already thinking about. So count
me in.

--
David