[microfarmer] Re: Ideas

  • From: "Robin Wheeler" <robin54@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <microfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:34:34 -0800

Hi, all - Good discussion -
I would like to return briefly to the original message to this group - that I
will be offering another Microfarm Forum in February, am inviting people to
speak on Non Forest Timber Products and "Value Added", and am wondering if
there is another class that some consensus could develop around for a third
topic.
The theme will be "Capacity Building", remembering that this is what the funds
are directed towards - helping growers increase capacity to grow food, to feed
themselves, and then to sell to others, in an effort to make the Sunshine coast
safer to live in, reduce fossil fuel use, bring people back to their gardens.
Thanks!
Meanwhile, please carry on with dialogue ...
Robin

      Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:47:30 -0500
      From: phytomphalosfarm@xxxxxxxx
      Subject: [microfarmer] Re: Ideas, please
      To: microfarmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

      Greetings:
         After some thought (8 years worth now, here) I've concluded for myself
that this is not an area to farm in.  Permaculture yes, farm no.  By this I
mean that I will never spend time growing annuals for market.  I've enough
experience to know that for real food security, you must provide for you and
yours above all else.  Expecting even this amount of return from the poor soils
on the coast is almost laughable.  Looking at my extended families food needs
for one year makes me lean far more towards mariculture than agriculture.
         This is simply not a 'farming' locale.  Sure there was enough small
fruit production to have a jam factory, and I'm sure that those who contributed
also had home gardens, but the wealth that westerners extracted from here was
not soil based, it was ocean/forestry based.  Looking at boosting production of
low-use annuals (almost most of them!) seems rather weird to me.  If anything,
we should be focusing on small scale meat raising, because
vegetarianism/veganism as a lifestyle would be impossible in a time of real
crisis.  Which is what I tend to think is coming.  Growing more lettuce,
peppers, corn, basil or other marginal crops seems a waste of time.  Sure they
may be slightly marketable but they do not answer to food self security
what-so-ever.
         The only solution I have come up with is to utilize the dead spaces as
foraging tools.  Roadsides, empty lots, marginal land, clearcuts.  These places
could all be utilized as massive food production areas, if our main food source
was the sea.  As it was for the past millennia.  We should learn from the
Sechelt, not try and garden in and around them.  Sure, have a huge home garden,
but what need is there for specialty lettuce's?  Focus on 20, very hardy (do to
Solar Based Climate Change), very useful plants.  As a money earner, we could,
since there not very many of us really... become nurserypeople. Having a fully
functional fedge filled with fabulous fruits and nuts is going to be de rigeur
in the not so distant future (the EU CB injected another 60 B into the markets
today!).
        The plain and simple fact is, we can not live by soil alone, nor
anywhere near so, on the Sunshine Coast (my apologies to the non-coasters
here).  We must focus in on how we CAN live, not on the whims of marketability,
but in clear concise garden-wise ways that may need more marketing than the
easier to see products.  We need to be proactive in helping mariculture renew
itself.  We need to think along different lines.  Sure, grow blueberries, but
grow 20 types of them!  Harder to market since they don't ripen at the same
time, but holding down different genepools in the face uncertain
climate/political/banking backdrops seems wise.
         Have a specialty!  But don't specialize (specialization is for
insects).  If this list is the new wave of budding farmers, we need to do a lot
of thinking and planning for what is to come.  I disdain of typing really, so
I'm hoping to chat more with everyone at the next gathering.  Growing
perennials is more time consuming, but more fruitful in the future.  And if my
sources are correct, we are going to need a lot of food security in the not so
distant future.

      Ciao Fer Now
      lance

      A consensus means that everyone agrees to say collectively what no one
believes individually. Abba Eban

      ""We already have the means to travel among the stars, but these
technologies are locked up in black projects and it would take an Act of God to
ever get them out to benefit humanity...Anything you can imagine, we already
know how to do."
      Ben Rich, Stealth Bomber Designer

    Have fun while connecting on Messenger! Click here to learn more.

  Looking for a X-Mas gift? Everybody needs a Flickr Pro Account!