[mhsgreatercinci] Re: cleaning glass cabinets and wood

  • From: Ann Lugbill <alugbill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mhsgreatercinci@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 11:21:14 -0400

Friends,

Our professional staff at the Ohio Historical Society/Ohio History Connection who help us with the Harriet Beecher Stowe House advise for glass and mirrors -vinegar and cotton cleaning rags--some even advocate using newspaper and vinegar.

We are told for wood to try to also keep it simple, damp soft cotton (think old tee shirts) rag that does not leave a lot of lint, warm water, and very mild soap if any at all. Like Murphy's fo wood.

So vinegar and water is what we try to use. The benefit is also no chemical fumes, organic, no waste, etc.

Ann Lugbill
Friends of the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, Cincinnati

On 6/17/2015 11:06 AM, AL YOUNG wrote:

Hello,

Here are topics our curators are discussing as we are doing some indepth
cleaning of our display cabinets.
What is a good glass cleaner, that is not ammonia based??
We are planning to use unbleached muslin in our display cases. We do not think
this should pose any cross contamination problems. Are there any???

Thought maybe Kathy Creighton and Bill Dichtl would share what products they
use.

Pat Young
Trustee
Christian Waldschmidt Homestead