[MoGeo] Support For MoGeo

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: GC-RGS <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:14:07 -0500

It is that time of the year again that the domains fees for MoGeo come due. If anyone cares to help support the Missouri Geocachers website (www.MoGeo.com) please see the link http://tinyurl.com/2otzu .

What has MoGeo done so far?

We have provided a single place where Geocachers from all around Missouri and other parts of the Country can easily find out about geocaching in Missouri. It is always a problem when cachers go to an area where they are not familiar to find local contacts to answer questions about caches, permission issues and geocaching in general. Now, if anyone wants to find out "whats up", it is not necessary to track down several local clubs and sign up and just to start asking questions. Googling on "Missouri Geocaching" will pretty quickly get folks the information that can head them in the right direction.

We have set up Missouri geocaching representatives in each part of the Missouri to handle direct questions about geocaching in their part of the state.

We have established some pretty firm and positive relationships with various land managers within the state.

One of the most useful features of the Mogeo website is the "Land Use" page gets a lot of use. On the land use page Geocachers and land managers from around the state (and other states) can quickly see what areas need permits, special permission or where geocaching is prohibited altogether.

MoGeo was the "official host" of the Geocaching competition held at Hawn State park!!

What do we still have to do??

Lots!

I am still slowly trying to develop a series of "About" pages that contain preferred places to stay, places to camp, favorite restaurants where good "local food" can be found and sections of good "must do" caches that travelers can find close to different parts of town.

Someday we will get a more formal membership sign-up and all the fancy stuff but for now, this is what there is.

I would like to develop a "recent logs" section for Missouri, also a Missouri stats page for folks that like that sort of thing.

I would like to continue to bring the various groups of the state together into a cohesive geocaching group and give all the folks that don't yet have a local group of there own a place to call "home".

I have been toying with the idea of setting the site up so folks can directly discuss issues and contribute geocaching content right to the website. I *really like * the format and setup of the www.keenpeople.com site. It is very fresh looking and dynamic and all well beyond my capabilities. (even tho folks say it is easy to do). The whole site would have to be redone using a Php based platform and it looks like a real project to get it right.

There has been much talk of 503c, not for profit status, of geocaching groups. I would like to figure out a way to get one main group (mogeo) qualified for the not-for-profit status and see if the subgroups (or chapters, or affiliates or whatever) of MoGeo could get the same status without reinventing the wheel and going thru the same work several different times. I don't know if things work like that but if it could be worked out, it would be nice. This one is clearly above my head both legally, book keeping wise and financially. This would be the biggest project that would take lots of time, effort and cash and that is IF we determine the project is even worth taking on.

There is so much to do, so little time. I need to go look at the "new cache queue" to see if anymore caches in Missouri and Kansas need dealing with.

Cheers and cache on,