[MoGeo] Re: Hello and new issues..

  • From: "Mike Bollinger" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 21:36:28 -0500

There are a lot of variables here and hard-and-fast rules might not work out
real well.  I live in the Jeff City area and outside of Columbia, there are
very few caches.  New cachers are coming on-line all the time and to retire any
caches in this area right now, would be a disservice, regardless of how good
they are or are not.  They are still getting found.

It seems like the "free-market" system of supply and demand should work out for
the most part.  My kids won't go for any micro's or virtuals because they
aren't interested, they like the trade.  So when we want to go out caching, I
just pass the micro's by.  If I read in the logs that the cache needs
maintenance or is not very good, I'll pass that by too.  I also look at the
area, a mini in a pile of brush by a creek just isn't that appealing.  We're
are not into getting lots of finds, it's the quality of the find that counts.
We vote with our feet.

I've seen on a few cache pages where you can rate them by voting on them.
Could that be done on all caches and when the vote gets low on them we can ask
the owner to archive it?  Or maybe we need to be honest on our logs and call an
old, stale cache just that and suggest that it be archived.  Maybe the owner
will get the hint.