[LMP] Re: Originalism in the American Law Professoriate

  • From: "Graber, Mark" <MGraber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>, "conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <conlawprof@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 17:26:44 -0500

I suspect I agree with most of this.  There are substantial semantic,
linguistic and philosophical debates among people on this list, many of whom
have far more expertise on semantics, linguistics, and the philosophy of
meaning than I do, so may langauge on this tends to be a bit vague and should
not be interpred as taking a position in the semantic, linguistic and
philosophical debates.  I think the materials from the framing period are
useful for demonstrating what various people thought they were doing when they
made certain langauge choice and what obversers at the time may have thought
they were doing.  What one learns is that there were usually a range of things
the framers might have been doing (or thought to be doing), with at most some
possibilities at bit more probable than others.