[ #MP Ops Mailing List ] FW: Advertising

  • From: "Skinkie" <Skinkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Meetingplace mail list" <meetingplace.ops@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:16:19 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Dietrich [mailto:diet1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 21 August 2001 23:17
To: #Meetingplace
Subject: Advertising

OK, we've had some problems with advertising in the room in the last few
days, so a few short guidelines on what Skinkie and I expect.

Advertising is NOT normally permitted.

BUT ... if the matter is pertinent, a person may advertise another room or a
website providing they get the approval of any ops on duty.  If one op is
asked, (s)he should inform all other ops on duty if (s)he has given
permission for any advertising.

Even if the matter isn't pertinent, if the op being asked feels that there
is a good reason to allow the room or site to be advertised, then permission
should be granted.  We feel you can all be trusted to use your own judgement
here.

However, the advertising should be brief, clear and infrequent.  By that I
mean, no spamming etc.  Again use your judgement.

REMEMBER : There is always room to use your judgement.  None of the room
rules are cast in stone, and everything should be judged in the light of
things AS THEY HAPPEN.  The 'rule book' is there for guidance ONLY, and
should not be followed slavishly.

If these rules are broken, the penalties are the same as any other offense.
ie Kick, Ban, Akick.... and use your common sense as to how far you need to
go.

If the offender is a regular, or even another op, then the penalties are the
same.  No allowances should be made just because you know the person.  By
the same token, just because you know the person, don't be extra harsh on
them, even if *you* know that *they* know the rules, and should have behaved
in the first place.

If possible, always talk to the person first, try to get an apology or at
least a promise that the offence won't re-occur.  A friendly approach almost
always pays dividends in the end, and fits in better with the atmosphere we
try to promote in the room.

Recent events got a little heated.  As far as Claire and myself are
concerned, the matter is closed, and we'd like to put the matter to bed
completely.  We have spoken to the person(s) concerned, and sorted
everything out.  This post is just to make sure that we all pull together
from now on :-)

Tony

#Meetingplace Ops list. All posts to this list are
considered CONFIDENTIAL and may not be forwarded, reproduced or given
in any way to third parties who are not #Meetingplace Operators.

Any comments about this list should be sent to
listmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx