[meepo] Re: Revised Druid info.

  • From: Albright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: meepo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:43:02 -0400

Luckily for you, I can cut and paste.  Mind you, you're not getting to see
the new Nymph, Dryad and Satyr pictures, but there you are.  Note the
addition of spontaneous summoning spells, lotsa wildshapins, and expanded
animal companion info.  Note also the lack of changes to proficiencies,
which I'm sure will irk a bunch of folks.

Revision Spotlight

What can you say about druids? Well, they make terrific villains. And hey,
they're pretty darn cool as PCs, too. It's never wise to disrespect someone
who can turn into a coral snake and crawl into your bedroll as a "practical

As always, remember that nothing is complete or final until you buy the book
in the store.

Druids have the following game statistics.

Abilities: Wisdom determines how powerful a spell a druid can cast, how many
spells she can cast per day, and how hard those spells are to resist. To
cast a spell, a druid must have a Wisdom score of 10 + the spell's level. A
druid gets bonus spells based on Wisdom. The Difficulty Class of a saving
throw against a druid's spell is 10 + the spell's level + the druid's Wisdom

Since a druid wears only light or medium armor, a high Dexterity score
greatly improves her defensive ability.

Alignment: Neutral good, lawful neutral, neutral, chaotic neutral, or
neutral evil.

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills

The druid's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are
Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal
(Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex),
Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str). See Chapter 4:
Skills for skill descriptions.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the druid.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Druids are proficient with the following
weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear,
sling, and spear. They are also proficient with all natural attacks (claw,
bite, and so forth) of any form they assume with wild shape (see below).
Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from
wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide
armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the
ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the
ironwood spell description.) Druids are proficient with shields (except
tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable
to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class
abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Spells: A druid casts divine spells (the same type of spells available to
the cleric, paladin, and ranger), which are drawn from the druid spell list.
Her alignment may restrict her from casting certain spells opposed to her
moral or ethical beliefs; see Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells, below.
A druid must choose and prepare her spells in advance (see below).

To prepare or cast a spell, the druid must have a Wisdom score equal to at
least 10 + the spell level (Wis 10 for 0-level spells, Wis 11 for 1st-level
spells, and so forth). The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a
druid's spell is 10 + the spell level + the druid's Wisdom modifier.

Like other spellcasters, a druid can cast only a certain number of spells of
each spell level per day. Her base daily spell allotment is given on Table
3-8: The Druid. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if she has a
high Wisdom score (see Table 1-1: Ability Modifiers and Bonus Spells). She
does not have access to any domain spells or granted powers, as a cleric

A druid prepares and casts spells the way a cleric does, though she cannot
lose a prepared spell to cast a cure spell in its place (but see Spontaneous
Casting, below). A druid may prepare and cast any spell on the druid spell
list, provided that she can cast spells of that level, but she must choose
which spells to prepare during her daily meditation.

Spontaneous Casting: A druid can channel stored spell energy into summoning
spells that she hasn't prepared ahead of time. She can "lose" a prepared
spell in order to cast any summon nature's ally spell of the same level or
lower. For example, a druid who has prepared repel vermin (a 4th-level
spell) may lose repel vermin in order to cast summon nature's ally IV (also
a 4th-level spell).

Chaotic, Evil, Good, and Lawful Spells: A druid can't cast spells of an
alignment opposed to her own or her deity's (if she has one). For example, a
neutral good druid cannot cast evil spells. Spells associated with
particular alignments are indicated by the chaos, evil, good, and law
descriptors in their spell descriptions (see Chapter 11: Spells).

Bonus Languages: A druid's bonus language options include Sylvan, the
language of woodland creatures. This choice is in addition to the bonus
languages available to the character because of her race (see Race and
Languages and the Speak Language skill).

A druid also knows Druidic, a secret language known only to druids, which
she learns upon becoming a 1st-level druid. Druidic is a free language for a
druid; that is, she knows it in addition to her regular allotment of
languages and it doesn't take up a language slot. Druids are forbidden to
teach this language to nondruids. Druidic has its own alphabet.

Animal Companion (Ex): A druid may begin play with an animal companion
selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog,
eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium
viper), or wolf. If the DM's campaign takes place wholly or partly in an
aquatic environment, the DM may add the following creatures to the druid's
list of options: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal
is a loyal companion that accompanies the druid on her adventures as
appropriate for its kind.

A 1st-level druid's companion is completely typical for its kind except as
noted in the sidebar on page 36. As a druid advances in level, the animal's
power increases as shown on the table in the sidebar.

If a druid releases her companion from service, she may gain a new one by
performing a ceremony requiring 24 uninterrupted hours of prayer. This
ceremony can also replace an animal companion that has perished.

A druid of 4th level or higher may select from alternative lists of animals
(see the sidebar). Should she select an animal companion from one of these
alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character's druid
level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the
appropriate list header from the character's druid level and compare the
result with the druid level entry on the table in the sidebar to determine
the animal companion's powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the druid's
effective level to 0 or lower, she can't have that animal as a companion.)
For example, a 6th-level druid could select a leopard as an animal
companion. The leopard would have characteristics and special abilities as
if the druid were 3rd level (taking into account the -3 adjustment) instead
of 6th level.

Nature Sense (Ex): A druid gains a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) and
Survival checks.

Wild Empathy (Ex): A druid can use body language, vocalizations, and
demeanor to improve the attitude of an animal (such as a bear or a monitor
lizard). This ability functions just like a Diplomacy check made to improve
the attitude of a person (see Chapter 4: Skills). The druid rolls 1d20 and
adds her druid level and her Charisma modifier to determine the wild empathy
check result. The typical domestic animal has a starting attitude of
indifferent, while wild animals are usually unfriendly.

To use wild empathy, the druid and the animal must be able to study each
other, which means that they must be within 30 feet of one another under
normal conditions. Generally, influencing an animal in this way takes 1
minute but, as with influencing people, it might take more or less time.

A druid can also use this ability to influence a magical beast with an
Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (such as a basilisk or a girallon), but she
takes a -4 penalty on the check.

Woodland Stride (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a druid may move through any
sort of undergrowth (such as natural thorns, briars, overgrown areas, and
similar terrain) at her normal speed and without taking damage or suffering
any other impairment. However, thorns, briars, and overgrown areas that have
been magically manipulated to impede motion still affect her.

Trackless Step (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a druid leaves no trail in
natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. She may choose to leave a trail
if so desired.

Resist Nature's Lure (Ex): Starting at 4th level, a druid gains a +4 bonus
on saving throws against the spell-like abilities of fey (such as dryads,
pixies, and sprites).

Wild Shape (Su): At 5th level, a druid gains the ability to turn herself
into any Small or Medium animal and back again once per day. Her options for
new forms include all creatures with the animal type (see the Monster
Manual). This ability functions like the polymorph spell, except as noted
here. The effect lasts for 1 hour per druid level, or until she changes
back. Changing form (to animal or back) is a standard action and doesn't
provoke an attack of opportunity.

The form chosen must be that of an animal the druid is familiar with. For
example, a druid who has never been outside a temperate forest could not
become a polar bear.

A druid loses her ability to speak while in animal form because she is
limited to the sounds that a normal, untrained animal can make, but she can
communicate normally with other animals of the same general grouping as her
new form. (The normal sound a wild parrot makes is a squawk, so changing to
this form does not permit speech.)

A druid can use this ability more times per day at 6th, 7th, 10th, 14th, and
18th level, as noted on Table 3-8: The Druid. In addition, she gains the
ability to take the shape of a Large animal at 8th level, a Tiny animal at
11th level, and a Huge animal at 15th level. The new form's Hit Dice can't
exceed the character's druid level. For instance, a druid can't take the
form of a dire bear (a Large creature that always has at least 12 HD) until
12th level, even though she can begin taking Large forms at 8th level.

At 12th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a plant
creature, such as a shambling mound, with the same size restrictions as for
animal forms. (A druid can't use this ability to take the form of a plant
that isn't a creature, such as a tree or a rose bush.)

At 16th level, a druid becomes able to use wild shape to change into a
Small, Medium, or Large elemental (air, earth, fire, or water) once per day.
These elemental forms are in addition to her normal wild shape usage. In
addition to the normal effects of wild shape, the druid gains all the
elemental's extraordinary, supernatural, and spell-like abilities. She also
gains the elemental's feats for as long as she maintains the wild shape, but
she retains her own creature type (humanoid, in most cases).

At 18th level, a druid becomes able to assume elemental form twice per day,
and at 20th level she can do so three times per day. At 20th level, a druid
may use this wild shape ability to change into a Huge elemental.

Venom Immunity (Ex): At 9th level, a druid gains immunity to all poisons.

A Thousand Faces (Su): At 13th level, a druid gains the ability to change
her appearance at will, as if using the alter self spell, but only while in
her normal form.

Timeless Body (Ex): After attaining 15th level, a druid no longer takes
ability score penalties for aging (see Table 6-5: Aging Effects) and cannot
be magically aged. Any penalties she may have already incurred, however,
remain in place. Bonuses still accrue, and the druid still dies of old age
when her time is up.

A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or
teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid
abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor,
and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid
until she atones (see the atonement spell description).

Table 3-8: The Druid
Level  Base Attack Bonus Fort Save  Ref Save  Will Save  Special   Spells
per Day
                                                        0  1st  2nd  3rd
4th  5th  6th  7th  8th  9th
1st  +0  +2  +0  +2  Animal companion, nature sense, wild empathy  3  1  --
--  --  --  --  --  --  --
2nd  +1  +3  +0  +3  Wodland stride  4  2  --  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
3rd  +2  +3  +1  +3  Trackless step  4  2  1  --  --  --  --  --  --  --
4th  +3  +4  +1  +4  Resist nature's lure  5  3  2  --  --  --  --  --  --
5th  +3  +4  +1  +4  Wild shape (1/day)  5  3  2  1  --  --  --  --  --  --

6th  +4  +5  +2  +5  Wild shape (2/day)  5  3  3  2  --  --  --  --  --  --

7th  +5  +5  +2  +5  Wild shape (3/day)  6  4  3  2  1  --  --  --  --  --
8th  +6/+1  +6  +2  +6  Wild shape (Large)  6  4  3  3  2  --  --  --  --
9th  +6/+1  +6  +3  +6  Venom immunity  6  4  4  3  2  1  --  --  --  --
10th  +7/+2  +7  +3  +7  Wild shape (4/day)  6  4  4  3  3  2  --  --  --
11th  +8/+3  +7  +3  +7  Wild shape (Tiny)  6  5  4  4  3  2  1  --  --  --

12th  +9/+4  +8  +4  +8  Wild shape (plant)  6  5  4  4  3  3  2  --  --  --

13th  +9/+4  +8  +4  +8  A thousand faces  6  5  5  4  3  3  2  1  --  --
14th  +10/+5  +9  +4  +9  Wild shape (5/day)  6  5  5  4  4  3  3  2  --  --

15th  +11/+6/+1  +9  +5  +9  Timeless body, wild shape (Huge)  6  5  5  5  4
4  3  2  1  --
16th  +12/+7/+2  +10  +5  +10  Wild shape (elemental 1/day)  6  5  5  5  4
4  3  3  2  --
17th  +12/+7/+2  +10  +5  +10   6  5  5  5  5  4  4  3  2  1
18th  +13/+8/+3  +11  +6  +11  Wild shape (6/day, elemental 2/day)  6  5  5
5  5  4  4  3  3  2
19th  +14/+9/+4  +11  +6  +11   6  5  5  5  5  5  4  4  3  3
20th  +15/+10/+5  +12  +6  +12  Wild shape (elemental 3/day, Huge elemental)
6  5  5  5  5  5  4  4  4  4