[meepo] Re: Bolo's Evolution?

  • From: Joe Leven <arctos_magi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meepo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 05:36:46 -0700 (PDT)

I can't spell to save my soul today!
Joe Leven <arctos_magi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:Unfortunatly the Verdant Lord is almost
unneeded at our levels. If I had done Bolo as a druid 10 then went VL that
would have worked but I can't see progressing any further in VL as it has no
really aplicible benefits in Epic levels. and with the Druid Re-write (I'm
hoping we will allow the 3.5 rules for Bolo) he will be able to wild shape into
plants. so there is no benefits at all for the VL class except what I have at
level 2 VL.
The Janni abilities will bolster Bolo's ability to survive on other palnes and
gives him abilities that even in wild form he can still use. (Telepathy alone
is great for communicating with those who have no scale.)
"Thomas F. Zadlo" wrote:
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 05:03:20 -0700 (PDT), Joe Leven wrote:

> I know I'm obcessing but I still cannot pin down what I want to do with Bolo
> past 20th level Druid. Epic druid is a bust mainly as are all the epic
classes.
> The thing I'm most thinking about is having Bolo go fully(?) elemental. I'm
> thinking about having him turn into a Janni.

I thought you were heading down the verdant lord line? Or was that not working
out well? Seems that you can't be a plant and an elemental tho.

> It makes sence and would give me wonderful reasons to keep advancing the
> character. Janni being composed of all the elements fits with bolo's animal
> and
> plant natures and would make him more "holisticly" sound. plus the abilitiy to
> planeshift and telepathy the stat bonuses... all of it is good.
>
> what do you all think?
> Joe

Having done absolutely no research whatsoever, here's what occurs to me

The mechanics: you need to focus if you want to do anything well. My brief
reading suggests that if you're gonna be an epic spellcaster, you need to really
be an epic spellcaster. You can't do this by half measures. So either focus on
magic and take the feats and so on necessary, or figure on topping out and
focusing on other areas. 3e has shown what every other system under the sun has
- you can be a fighter or a spellcaster but you can't do both well. Therefore
the question becomes how do you want Bolo to fight? Slinging spells, or beating
in skulls?

If the latter, I'm not sure how successful you'll be - Druid BAB isn't great but
there's all the wildshaping and stuff that can alter it so I really have no
clue. If you want to check it, I'd stat out some combat forms and compare them
to Kay or Aeth for a reference.

Then there's the story/rp side of things. You are a druid so you started hugging
trees and are becoming more "one with nature". Now you can look at that a lot of
ways - one-with-mostly-animals, one-with-mostly-plants, one-with-the-elements,
etc. Nature is diverse - you could be a storm or weather spirit, or align with a
single element, or align with all of them, or plants, or whatever.

Again, though, the same rule applies. You can do one well, but not all. This and
the mechanics choice merge at this point - pick one that supports the other.

I guess the net here is that I think almost any of it can work, as long as you
don't spread yourself too thin.