[meego-fi] Portal development

  • From: Jarkko Moilanen <jarkko.moilanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: meego-network-fi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 15:54:45 +0200

Hi

As some of you know I have started to build our portal. Why just me? Well,
it seemed that only I had the time for it. Actually I didn't have the time,
but I made some time for it or that's what I thought. Now it seems that it
takes nearly all my time (plus Summit page stuff). I have to do other things
too and therefore I have decided to stop portal development now. I will not
do that alone and I don't think that is what the community wants either. I'm
not even leading this project. At least I shouldn't be, but now I feel like
I am.

As far as i know, there are people who want to participate into portal
development but at least one problem is platform. Hardly any of us know much
about Drupal 7. During these last 7-8 days I have tried to get people
involved (even though that is portal project lead's task), but I haven't
seen any activity. Yes, I know 7-8 days is not long time, but the fact is
that no one has said to contribute in it even in the future. Perhaps the
question is then: Do we want to stick with meetup.com? Do we need (or want)
the portal anymore? If the answer for the latter is yes, I'd suggest
something that has been suggested before.

Let's gather in Demola some night and I'll share what (little) I know about
Drupal 7. Some of you might be experienced is php, graphical design, etc.
Those who want to be in portal project should be there. I don't want to
sound like a bit*h but current situation can not continue. Something has to
change. We have to make decisions, whether we want portal or not and who
will contribute in it.  Meeting in real life could get this thing going on
and get project lead into correct hands. Sorry for stepping on lead's toes,
but I felt that things need to get started now.

If the answer is no (we don't need portal), then we just abandon the project
and move on. That's an option too.

/Jarkko
--
Community Manager (MNFI, Meego Network Finland)

More info: http://meegonetwork.fi
Discussions: irc.freenode.net#meego-fi
http://meego.ajatukseni.net/