[medreform] Re: FOIA

  • From: "Tamman, Maurice" <Maurice.Tamman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:21:40 -0400

That looks good to me

--
Maurice Tamman
News Editor, Wall Street Journal
212-416-4327
914-482-8318 (mobile)
-----Original Message-----
From: medreform-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:medreform-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Pell, Michael
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:21 PM
To: medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [medreform] FOIA

I talked to the people at RESDAC and our attorney. The bottom line is we can
issue a FOIA request and our attorney thinks we can get the data for free or a
minimal charge. This does not mean that CMS won't try to fight us on it, only
that our attorney believes we are in the right. We are confident in our
position because RESDAC said the CMS charge is for pulling and maintaining the
database. As a press organization we can only be charged for making copies of
the data, which shouldn't cost $3,000 a year.

I am going to issue a FOIA for the following data:
*         The MEDPAR Limited Data Set for 1997 through 2008;
*         Limited Data Set Denominator files for 1999 through 2008;
*         And the Limited Data Set Standard Analytical Files for 1999 through
2007.

Does anyone want anything else?

Pell