[medreform] FOIA

  • From: "Pell, Michael" <mpell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:20:43 -0400

I talked to the people at RESDAC and our attorney. The bottom line is we
can issue a FOIA request and our attorney thinks we can get the data for
free or a minimal charge. This does not mean that CMS won't try to fight
us on it, only that our attorney believes we are in the right. We are
confident in our position because RESDAC said the CMS charge is for
pulling and maintaining the database. As a press organization we can
only be charged for making copies of the data, which shouldn't cost
$3,000 a year.

I am going to issue a FOIA for the following data:

*       The MEDPAR Limited Data Set for 1997 through 2008;
*       Limited Data Set Denominator files for 1999 through 2008;
*       And the Limited Data Set Standard Analytical Files for 1999
through 2007.

Does anyone want anything else?

Pell