[medreform] Differences Between MEDPAR and SAF Inpatient

  • From: "Pell, Michael" <mpell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 15:14:41 -0400

Ok,

MEDPAR contains the inpatient "stay records" for individual patients,
which includes what procedures were undertaken, how much they cost, etc.
The Inpatient SAF records, which is similar to MEDPAR and contains some
overlapping data, contains "claim files." The difference here is that a
medical facility may submit several claims for a single stay or
procedure, for example if its a long stay at a facility. So while the
MEDPAR data would contain a single record detailing all of the
procedures and costs for a patient, the SAF data in some cases would
have several records for that same patient. But the MEDPAR data does not
contain patient IDs while the SAF data does.

What this boils down to, according to the good people at RESDAC, is that
the MEDPAR data is better for comparing medical facilities, but the SAF
data will allow you to do some analysis not possible through MEDPAR,
chiefly you can consider rehospitilization using the SAF data, as it
contain patient IDs.

The Physician carrier file will tell you what the individual physician
billed for. The problem with this data is that the most we can obtain is
5 percent of the total number of records.

I know this doesn't answer all of our questions, but I think it's a
start.

Mike