[medreform] Re: Any movement; natives are very restless

  • From: "Tamman, Maurice" <Maurice.Tamman@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <medreform@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:19:27 -0400

Section 9 of the OPEN Government Act, it is important for agencies to ensure
that their searches for records in response to FOIA requests include any
potentially responsive agency records that may be in the possession of an
entity under contract with the agency for purposes of records management. Any
agency employing such a government contractor to manage or store its records
must institute appropriate procedures to allow it to search for and identify
agency records that may be responsive to a FOIA request that are in the
possession of that records management-contractor. Given that the clear intent
of this provision is to clarify that the location of the agency records in the
hands of the contractor for records management purposes does not remove the
records from the scope of the FOIA, such records must be capable of being
searched in response to FOIA requests. If responsive agency records are located
in the possession of the records management-contractor, they should be
forwarded to the appropriate FOIA office within the agency for processing. Such
records must be identified and handled by the agency just as if they had been
in the possession of the agency in the first instance.

--
Maurice Tamman, Wall Street Journal
212-416-4327 / 305-396-1490 (all) / 914-482-8318 (m)