[MEBC-Butterfly] Re: [TN-Butterflies] Wrong clearwing in photo

  • From: Larry McDaniel <larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BUTTERFLY NET <mebc-butterfly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, BUTTERNUTS <butternuts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TN-Butterflies <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 07:53:49 -0400

Michael and Audrey,

Thanks for weighing in on this. I was hasty in calling this a Hummingbird
Clearwing and I do believe it to be a Snowberry Clearwing (Hemaris diffinis).
The wing pattern and the leg color should be diagnostic. Bug Guide handles the
identification nicely.

Larry McDaniel
Johnson City, TN

From: mlbierly@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: larrycmcd@xxxxxxxxxxx
CC: stanleydj@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [TN-Butterflies] Wrong clearwing in photo
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 22:31:25 -0500

Larry,
    I have now had a few moments to look over again BAMONA's first image for
Hummingbird clearwing, http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/images?l=3437, and
compare with the others below. It does not look the same. It has that buffy on
the body like the Snowberry clearwing,
http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/images?l=3439. I have brought DJ into this
as he was the one that pointed out to me my clearwing, which initially I also
called Hummingbird, that the body was buffy. Jason pointed out the black legs.
What do you two think? Of course, Jason can straighten me out. Thanks for your
thoughts.

Michael