[mea] Re: Wording

  • From: Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:27:24 -0600

I hate to sound like a broken record (or MP3 file), but your compound object
argument would mean it's correct to say "Jim made coffee for Jane and he."

This Jane character sounds like a troublemaker, anyway. How about not even
offering her coffee; just make one for yourself and maybe she'll take the hint
and leave.

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Re: Wording
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 14:03:55 -0600

No, this isn't an issue in a document,
it's an on-purpose language debate. I work with enthusiasts.

From:
susan.portelance@xxxxxxxxx

To:
mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date:

Subject:
[mea] Re: Wording

Sent by:
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I prefer me to myself personally. Is there any other reference
to Jane? Can you say "I made coffee for both of us"?

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Sender: mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 13:52:46 -0600

To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

ReplyTo: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That's today's raging debate among the
word enthusiasts:

I made coffee for Jane

I made coffee for myself

therefore I made coffee for Jane and myself

OR

I made coffee for [compound object of Jane and me]

I'm trying to juggle a hair-on-fire deadline at the same time and I don't
want to dig my reference books out of boxes... sorry to be so lazy, but
this is fun :)

Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[mea] Re: Wording

Sent by:

mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Doesn't this call for the reflexive pronoun, since you're the object of
your own action? You wouldn't say, e.g., "She bought a muffin for
Craig, Jane, and her," or, removing Jane from the picture, you wouldn't
say "I made coffee for me."

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [mea] Wording

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:16:03 -0600

Can you think of any situation in which this would be correct:

"I made coffee for Jane and me"

?

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or privileged.
It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of conducting business
with Parker. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and then delete the information from your system.
Thank you for your cooperation."