[mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?

  • From: Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:41:22 -0600

Wow, that was a good and fast list, Cheri! A rout of redactors? I like the
bracket! It's a murder of crows, so it must be a slaughter of ravens. Funny how
it always ends with the drink, though, eh?

Sorry, Carl - I just meant the use of the word "critical" - I understand it's
got to be short, and that it's mutated into an acceptable shorthand for
"critical condition," but I guess my brain hasn't  adapted yet, and every time
I see that I misread it at first. I don't think you'd say "skier still fair,"
but then I'm just picking nits, and could probably use a shot, too.

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:29:30 -0600

That's a fun one!

A correction (collection, with an accent)
of editors

A brace of editors

A bracket of editors

A nitpick of editors

A murder of editors (no, that's crows--or
is it ravens? I think it's ravens)

Ha, a caret of editors!

I think I need to go home.

From:
Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>

To:
<mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date:

Subject:
[mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?

Sent by:
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, yes, except the skier is in no position
to be critical (that particular usage always bugs me). As opposed to a
gaggle of editors ... what is the correct term for that, by the way?

Subject: [mea] Re: Are you ok with this
sentence?

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:08:25 -0600

From: Carl.DeGurse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It’s a “don’t read me”
headline.  Nothing new in this news story.  But it’s possible
the headline writer was stuck topping a nothing-new story and responsibly
wrote a headline that is bland yet accurate.

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:18:25 -0600

From: acogg@xxxxxxx

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Where's the like button, Karen?

...Arden

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:04 PM, Karen McElrea
<karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I would object to a sentence of that construction,
which I believe are incorrect in any context.

To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [mea] Are you ok with this sentence?

From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx

Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:32:53 -0600

"Burke tore a
vertebral artery, which are
located in the neck and supply blood to
the brainstem — the back part of the brain which controls consciousness."

(From
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/skiing/story/2012/01/12/sp-burke-skiing-injury.html)

Would you consider that construction perfectly ok, a colloquialism / grammatical
shortcut, or would you consider it wrong no matter what?

Just curious.

-C.

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or privileged.
It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of conducting business
with Parker. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender
by replying to this message and then delete the information from your system.
Thank you for your cooperation."