[mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?

  • From: Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:21:02 -0600

Well, yes, except the skier is in no position to be critical (that particular
usage always bugs me). As opposed to a gaggle of editors ... what is the
correct term for that, by the way?

Subject: [mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence?
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:08:25 -0600
From: Carl.DeGurse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It’s a “don’t read me” headline.  Nothing new in this news story.  But it’s
possible the headline writer was stuck topping a nothing-new story and
mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:mea-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karen
McElrea
Sent: January-12-12 4:58 PM
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Re: Are you ok with this sentence? Thanks, Arden -- what do we
think about that headline, "Canadian skier Sarah Burke still critical..."?

I think Cheri's solution is a good one (a double)!Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012
16:18:25 -0600
From: acogg@xxxxxxx
To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx's the like button, Karen? ...Arden On Thu, Jan 12,
2012 at 4:04 PM, Karen McElrea <karenmcelrea@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: I would object
to a sentence of that construction, which I believe are incorrect in any
context. To: mea@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [mea] Are you ok with this sentence?
From: cheri.frazer@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 15:32:53 -0600

"Burke tore a vertebral artery, which are located in the neck and supply blood
to the brainstem — the back part of the brain which controls consciousness."

(From
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/skiing/story/2012/01/12/sp-burke-skiing-injury.html)

Would you consider that construction perfectly ok, a colloquialism /
grammatical shortcut, or would you consider it wrong no matter what?

Just curious.
-C.

"PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or privileged. It
only should be used or disseminated for the purpose of conducting business with
Parker. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and then delete the information from your system.
Thank you for your cooperation."