//MARS R/ Re: Would you prefer to use Winlink? And more***

  • From: aar3ck@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: mdmars staff <mdmars_staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 15:31:55 +0000 (UTC)

Good morning, All -

I tried to send a response earlier but apparently my connection to the hotel
system was kind of flaky.  It does not appear that it went out, but sorry for
any duplication.

I would opt for choice #3 also.  If we have a bunch missing on the 13th we
won't get much done.  Also, I'd prefer not to rely on Skype and like the face
to face better when we can do that.  So, can one of you AL members notify the
AL that we won't be there on the 13th?

I would like to go ahead and solicit your comments regarding the use of Winlink
email addresses.  Now that we have a way to automatically insert the Winlink
subject line protocol, we can send to Winlink addressees as long as they are in
our distribution list.  It does not matter what subject you type in when
originating a message, the protocol will always be inserted.  (Only applies to
the tech list and the MDC Staff list at this time - for testing and validation
purposes.)

I have not had a chance to test it yet, but I think that might also be
automatically inserted even if you just hit "reply."  That would be a real plus
if it did.  Anyway, we can check that part out.  As a result of the Yahoo
fiasco (which appears to have been fixed) several member stations have asked
that their MARS emails come via Winlink.  The only other caveat is that if you
receive on Winlink, you must respond via Winlink.  I personally think this is a
great way to exercise that system and start loading it.  Of course, anyone may
choose to use their other email destinations with no problem.  So, bottom line,
anybody want to throw in their $.02 on this issue?

By the way, I put RMS Express on my laptop so I am able to Telnet to Winlink
remotely when I don't have direct access to a radio.  Very easy to do and it
works well.

Guess I have to wait for tomorrow before I am "chief" bottle washer.  I think
that's what you meant, Tony.  Jim, there is still ample time for you to stay
on.  All I have to do is make one phone call!

73,

John
Bottles R US