[mdmars_staff] Fw: Re: Fw: RE: Army MARS participation in the Presdential Inauguration

  • From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AIG-1 <mdmars_staff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 18:08:40 -0800 (PST)

All,
   FYI,  keep this close to your vest for now.  No mention of the Black Hawk
strike teams on the air.  Remember OPSEC.

Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 8:38 PM

Jim, good progress.  Thansk.

Bo, Al, please see the e-mail stream below (ERead from Bottom up).  Please ask
your MARS leaders in applicable areas to help out.  I'd like to see support
from not only Region 3, but 2,4,5,6 and perhaps 1 for Jan 20th Support.

Thanks ALl!

VWR,

Stu

Date: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 12:25 AM

Pudge, Grant, Stu, Tim,

  I think I can lay my hands on aboiut 20-30 HT1000 portable radios on our
repeaters AND can even put freqs for other gov agencies in them IF they tell me
what freqs and PL.  They are NOT encrypted... and NOT P25 just plain analog
voice.

  On another note, Tim and I talked for about half an hour yesterday about what
we should probably do for the 20th.  We discussed activation of Rgn 3 HF nets
(probably all day) and Maryland is going field two deployment teams if we can
get enough team members to support them for about 16-20 hours.  '

One team will be at MEMA at Camp Fretterd  and the other one I believe I would
put at the Westminster Airport (one of the places listed by Pudge).  A possible
for a third site might be the Soldiers Home on North Capitol St in DC.  One of
my members a quite capable person even if he is a /T  is a resident there.

Stu,  I humbly request you ask Navy and Air Force SMDs in Maryland to contact
me regarding arrangements. I would like have some real JOINTNESS here if we can
get them to talk to us.  My home number is 410-876-1448 and my Cell is
410-227-8775. I am available any day except this Tuesday before about 2000Z.

I am working on a deployment plan now and would like to have the other two
services in on all planning so we can identify the key players and decide how
this will all shake down.  Some of the planning has already been done... Tony
AAT3FG and I have been working on this plan for a few weeks now.

Jim

AAA3MD/AAT3OK

From: Grant Hays <ghays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: cairojoe2003@xxxxxxxxx, pudgeforrester@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: "'Low Rick CAPT CNO N5GP'" <rick.low@xxxxxxxx>, "'Bill Sexton (AAA9PR -
Alternate e-mail)'" <n1in@xxxxxxxx>, "'Jim Griffin (Dep Chief Army
MARS-AAA9B)'" <Jim.Griffin@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Stu Carter (Work)'"
<stuart.carter@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Michael Barrett (AAAM30)'"
<michael.barrett@xxxxxxx>, "'AAA2RD Bill Fitzsimmons'" <n2lmu@xxxxxxxx>,
"'AAA3RD Tim Zutaut'" <tdz123@xxxxxxx>, "'Jim Hamilton (AAA4RD)'"
<james_hamilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'AAA6RD Kenneth Winkler'"
<ka5aru@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 7:26 AM

All:  TSA well into the planning for the Inaug and the super bowl.  Mike and I
have already worked on planning .

Grant

From: Pudge Forrester <pudgeforrester@xxxxxxxxx>
To: cairojoe2003@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Saturday, December 6, 2008, 5:57 AM

Hi Stu,
I just want you to know that you have my support re: Vision and Mission
Statement.

Today I met with the SHARES group.  Much of the discussion centered on how
SHARES HF will be available on 20 January 2009 as backup communication.

It was obvious to me that SHARES, without MARS, does not have enough assets in
the Washington DC area to offer much support.  Therefore I suggest that Region
3 Army MARS go on high alert status that day and that other regions also be on
alert to support the event.

Some items:
1. They expect over 2 million people which makes it the largest event in the
city's history.
2. All hotel accomodations within 100 miles of DC are already booked.
3. Armed Blackhawk strike teams will be stationed at several airports up to 70
miles away.
4. Sharpshooters will be on several rooftops.
5. There is no government communication system other that amateur/MARS that can
completely cover the approximately 10,000 square miles area.
6. The telco's are expected to be vastly overloaded so cell phones and landline
systems cannot be relied upon.
7. There is very great concern that this event has a hugh "bullseye" painted on
it for a terriorist attack.
8. The DC Metro will not be able to handle more than a third of the traffic.

I would like to see VHF handhelds that are on the DC repeater given to Larry
Hazzard and others who are expected to be in the inauguration area.  Using
tactical calls they will serve to interconnect with the HF network operating in
the rest of the area.  Those MARS stations that can operate on multiple
frequencies should have both MARS and SHARES frequencies operational.

Then have an Army MARS station set up at the airports where the Blackhawk
strike teams are stationed to provide backup communications as needed.

Winlink 2000 should be active that day.

DHS is having technical difficulties as I write this.  It seems that new
encryption equipment is defective and they are unsure it can be replaced in
time.

Just a preliminary report and thoughts.
God bless,
Pudge