[mdmars_members] Re: deployment equipment list

  • From: "Shane J. Wolfe" <shanewolfe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:52:05 -0400

I agree.

There are a few things to consider when using a laptop for field use.  There
are lots of ruggedized machines out there, but they are super expensive.

I picked up an inexpensive "Netbook" a few months ago and have been using it
with my 897D out in the field.  I have to use a USB to serial adapter to
control the radio or use a TNC, but it has worked great.  The computer is VERY
portable and runs off of 12v (from the factory, no less).  The unit I have uses
a solid state drive, so it is less apt to fail from being jostled around.  The
only problem I have is that the display and the keyboard are smaller than
typical, so it can be a bit tough to type quickly on.  I think the tradeoffs in
keyboard and screen size are worth looking at though when you consider the
power consumption compared to something much larger...

-Shane
AAR3EA