[mdmars_members] cascade repeater inverted speach recording and thoughts

  • From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AIG-2 <mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:28:22 -0700 (PDT)

Ok everyone, I have attached is a .wav file from the cascade repeater. I have
edited out (deleted) all of the ID and other voice extraneous signals not
pertinent to the clip (yes Wayne I deleted you too).  Most windows operating
systems play this file without any problems.

When you listen carefully you will notice that it sounds remarkably similar to
a SSB signal when tuned to the wrong side band except that it is more
constrained (the voice is compressed to a narrower passband, roughly from say
80 hz to about 1200 hz.

Something else popped out at me when I listened to the raw data. That is some
of the signals present are chopping out of the (their) radio I believe. This
leads to speculation that we may never find this signal locally and that it
could be a rogue community repeater operated somewhere in PA, elsewhere in
Maryland or even in Virginia or DC.

It is also interesting that there appears to be specific and repeatable times
when you hear this signal and that is from approximately 8am to 9:30 am  and
from approximately 1pm to approximately 3pm.

In the near future we intend to replace the duplexer with one that has been
tuned up and treated with tender loving care (transported on my back seat) so
that the settings do not get altered.  It is hoped that some of this
interference will be somewhat reduced by virtue of the properly tuned duplexer.

I will keep you posted