[mdmars_members] Veterans Day thought - a little late but here anyhow

  • From: J Sears <aat3ok@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: AIG-2 <mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 08:57:37 -0800 (PST)

This was sent to me too late for Veterans day but I am passing this along to
you anyhow.  This day and age no one thinks of the cost of freedom anymore.

Jim

Subject: Fw: The Classroom... A lesson that should be taught in all schools and
colleges.

Back in September of 2005, on the first day of school, Martha Cothren, a social
studies school teacher at Robinson High School in Little Rock, did something
not to be forgotten.

On the first day of school, with the permission of the school superintendent,
the principal and the building supervisor, she removed all of the desks out of
her classroom.

When the first period kids entered the room they discovered that there were no
desks.

'Ms. Cothren, where're our desks?'

She replied, 'You can't have a desk until you tell me how you earn the right to
sit at a desk.'

They thought, 'Well, maybe it's our grades.'

'No,' she said.

'Maybe it's our behavior.'

She told them, 'No, it's not even your behavior..'

And so, they came and went, the first period, second period, third period,
still no desks in the classroom.

By early afternoon television news crews had started gathering in Ms.Cothren's
classroom to report about this crazy teacher who had taken all the desks out of
her room.

The final period of the day came and as the puzzled students found seats on the
floor of the desk less classroom, Martha Cothren said, 'Throughout the day no
one has been able to tell me just what he/she has done to earn the right to sit
at the desks that are ordinarily found in this classroom.

Now I am going to tell you.'

At this point, Martha Cothren went over to the door of her classroom and opened
it.

Twenty-seven (27) U.S. Veterans, all in uniforms, walked into that classroom,
each one carrying a school desk.

The Vets began placing the school desks in rows, and then they would walk over
and stand alongside the wall.

By the time the last soldier had set the final desk in place those kids started
to understand, perhaps for the first time in their lives, just how the right to
sit at those desks had been earned.

Martha said, 'You didn't earn the right to sit at these desks. These heroes did
it for you. They placed the desks here for you. Now, it's up to you to sit in
them. It is your responsibility to learn, to be good students, to be good
citizens. They paid the price so that you could have the freedom to get an
education. Don't ever forget it.'

By the way, this is a true story. Please consider passing this along so others
won't forget that the freedoms we have in this great country were earned by
U.S. Veterans!