[mdmars_members] Surplus sources for PRC radios...

  • From: "Shane J. Wolfe" <shanewolfe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: mdmars_members@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:28:59 -0500

All,

I am looking for suggestions on where to pick up a manpack radio similar to a
PRC 70 (or something with similar functions).  I basically want to set up
something that is durable, easy to pack, is well documented, etc.  I know I can
do a lot of this with my 897D and The Yaesu internal battery backs, but the
PRC's tend to have a lot of nice features like internal antenna tuners, and
they are much more ruggedized and modularized for repair purposes.  Ideally
this would be used to deploy if required, hence the need for something rugged.
An FSK port would also be ideal.

I have found a few surplus sites that sell Clansmen equipment from the UK, and
a few other European and Russian radios, but not much on the side of US
equipment.  The sites that do feature US equipment are very limited (mostly VFH
and UHF mobile setups).  I know the surplus market is pretty dry these days,
but I'm guessing someone within MARS might be a bit more savvy on sources than
I am?

Any info is much appreciated.

Shane
AAR3EA